Thread: TR3 windshield disassembly

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TR3 windshield disassembly

I need some advice.-- I started stripping down my windshield to take to a platter and have a couple of problems.
    1) After removing the Stanchions, I found that I do not have Tenon-plates on mine is that normal for a pre-6000? (everything fit/worked fine just removing for platting)

2) I cannot seem to be able to get the frame off the glass. What is the solution to do so without damaging the frame?

Quick advice would be greatly appreciated as I have time off this week to drive the 1 1/2 hours to the plater's.

Griff
    They don't make em like they used to. They never did!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Re: TR3 windshield disassembly

Yes you should have tenon plates. I suppose the windscreen is functional w/o them but not a air-tight for the side curtains. Also, the tenon plates are needed if you ever fit wind wings.

Sorry, have never had to separate the glass from the frame but am interested in what you find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aloha Griff,

I concur with Geo, you car should have come with the tenon plates.

Regarding removing the glass from the frame, the original glazing strip is a tape. I suppose over time it has baked on to both the glass and frame. I have also seen cars where a sealer/caulking material has been used instead of the glazing tape. I would think that mineral spirits would loosen up what ever is holding the glass in the frame. I would suggest you start on trying to remove the bottom of the frame first. Also removing the Tenax pegs should give you a access to squirt some mineral spirits into the frame. Work slowly on a padded surface if you are trying to save the glass. A gallon of mineral spirits cost much less than windshield glass. Good luck.
    Safety Fast,
    Dave

'54 MGTF (1250)
    '58 TR3A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with all of the above. Take care if you are replacing the Tenax studs. I went through the process of dismantling and cleaning my screen. When I fitted the new Tenax the threaded part was longer than the original and I cracked my windscreen.
    1959 Triumph TR3A,
    1962 Triumph Herald 1200,
    1974 Triumph Toledo,
    1972 Morris Minor Traveller (My wife points out that this is her car!)