• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Newbie question about hoodstick cover installation

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Bought a hoodstick cover from Moss for my 1960 TR3A. Of course they always assume you are replacing one so no instructions. Since I didn't and don't have one I am at a lose as to the installation procedures.

I have some photos I took at a car show this week end but I didn't ask anyone to remove theirs so I can see it in the finished form.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
A couple of answers before you even ask...

The strangest bit is the Lift the Dot that is on the edge that tucks up under the hoodsticks. It finds a LTD peg on the capping along the back. If you do not have this peg in place you will need some pics or measurements.

You want it to fit so that those pockets at the front corners catch the folded hoodsticks... that is what keeps the thing in place at 80 mph.

The fit (on mine anyway) was abit loose for my taste so I lay a rolled-up hand towel among the center area of the sticks and a rectangular piece of foam along each side. All are hidden by the cover but they fill it out so it sits nice.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In addition to George's explanation of those two pre-installed LTD snaps, another big help for me was a general outline of how to fit a new tonneau cover on an MGB:

https://www.mgexperience.net/article/tonneau.html

I used that technique as a model for my hoodstick cover installation. I lay the new cover across the sticks and used chalk to mark the center, both on the cover and on the car itself. These marks helped me keep the cover centered as I mounted the LTD snaps.

Assumption is that all the LTD studs are already mounted on your car.

I'd feel where the LTD stud touched the cover, and I'd mark that point with chalk. Then I'd cut a 3/8" hole (steel punch) at the chalk mark, and mount the LTD snap per the MGB article. I'd alternate from side to side, keeping the cover centered. You can buy a LTD punch for $37 (or $75), but I did it manually. Took about an hour to complete the job. Actually looks pretty good I have to admit.

Tom

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Re: Newbie question about hoodstick cover installa

I hope I haven't ruined the cover but I installed the "lift the dot" snaps in the cover as I did the top. The cover just won't fit over the sticks when attached.
Some pics would help if anyone has any. On the car, before attaching to the car, installation pics.
If you need to send them to my email of TFRACING1@YAHOO.COM
Thanks!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Hmmm ... you say "the cover just won't fit over the sticks when attached." Weren't the sticks in place when you first installed the hoodstick cover?

Maybe a pic of your cover attached to the car can clear up what you mean, so we can see what isn't fitting.

You mentioned "I installed the LTD snaps in the cover as I did the top." The top and the hoodstick cover are two different things (last I checked ...). Do you mean you tried to match the placement of the LTD snaps to the snaps that were already on the top?

Tom

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee

I haven't been around British cars in 25 years. I had a Sunbeam Tiger, Austin Healey 100-6, MGs, Tr6 and so on. Then I started drag racing motorcycles. Last summer when I saw a good friend wreck and I am 51 I thought if I had wrecked I would be hurt for the rest of my life if not killed. So I sold all my race stuff.
My son found my 1960 TR3A in a garage that had been sitting literally for 28 years. I bought the car for $800.00. Now I have completely restored the car. I did all the engine, frame, body, paint, you name it all by myself. But during the course of restoration I had some questions. There were a few things I wasn't sure on how to install. One was the vent door and the other the hoodstick cover. The vent door I had on the car was broken so after I saw a working door it was easy to install. The hoodstick issue is as posted.
Now...
What I meant on my last post was that I measured the center and then marked the locations of the pins. Then I installed the LTD fasteners. Perhaps I installed them in the wrong location or what ever...I need some various pics of the cover and perhaps a simpleton installation instructions.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

OK - here ya go. Hope this is what you're looking for.

https://www.mgexperience.net/journal/tmorehouse/1406

The steps I followed are in the third reply above. Just a thought - be sure you've fully lowered the hoodsticks. Note how far down they are in my third picture. Maybe that's why your cover doesn't "fit"?

Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

Here's some photos from mine. Similar to Tom's except 1) the second one shows the hidden up-side-down fastener 2) Tom is missing one LTD peg (the one that goes thru the plate holding the back of the webbing and 3) [most significantly] my photos are NOT posted to a site named "The MG Experience"...

stickcover1.JPG

stickcover2.JPG

stickcover3.JPG

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee

Well... As I said I'm not fully familiar with the TR3.
My sticks stopped tightly and I thought they were down. So I couldn't figure out why the cover wouldn't stretch over the sticks. After I got home from work I studied the situation and discovered the sticks not down all the way.
Guess your saying, what a dumb @$#... I deserve it (smile).

Thanks for all the posts and help. I knew I couldn't be too far off.

This is a great sight and I am glad Glen Austin told me about it last week end. Thanks to all.

I feel very welcome here.