• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Red 'Ropa, Red 'Ropa

RobT

Jedi Warrior
I posted a couple of weeks ago asking opinions on Lotus Europa's. The consensus seemed to be "make sure you drive one first!" Well I did, and I loved it! Agreed, not the most comfortable car to drive, or to get into or out of, but what a blast to drive.

The example I drove was located about an hour from me, and was for sale. Well I couldn't help myself, and now I am the proud owner of a red '74 Lotus Europa.

RedRotus_6_1trim.jpg

It has the "big valve" twin cam lotus/ford engine, and is remarkably original, with only 15,000 miles on it. The carpets and vinyl are all original. No rust, and running very strong. It was resprayed about 2 years ago. Not a perfect car, but a great unmolested example.

So I have no plans to sell the TR250, but as a buddy of mine used to say - you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm so used to the Lotus forum having few posts I didn't see this 'til after posting in the 'rumph department...

Sweet, man. If you need to find ANYTHING about the car, post it here and I'll do my best to come up with proper answers. Great find, welcome to the wild and wooly world of frozen snot lightweights. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...been almost ten minutes now.... No questions yet?!?! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
He be too busy enJOYin' it!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
THAT won't last. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Doc:

How many of the specials\ big valvers were produced? I think they were only made for two or three years. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Pat

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. Don't have exact numbers on the production of the Specials, but total Europa run was something like 9,200 cars total. the Specials were a 128 HP big valve version, from '72 to '75. Great performers.

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the kind offer!

What I don't know about the Europa could fill many books! I'm still poking around under the hood. I've got a few jobs on the list:

1) The clutch cable needs lubricating - I believe this means pulling the driver side seat, and extracting the cable from under the carpet, then pouring some gear oil down the cable/sheath.
2) The electricals are a bit funky. I will probably have to pull out the dash at some point

3) Replace the Seibring mirrors. Has the originals on there but the passangers side mechanism is gonzo. Ordered a new pair from RD Enterprises

Also have a 5-speed Fuego 'box and cable linkage setup (the current 'box is a 4-speed, unusual on a special). Will need to figure out how that goes in - but that is a long-term project.

As I drive the car (its not registered yet), I'm sure the list will grow.

BTW I have the Yahoo europa e-mail chain knowledge base, and am on the mailing list - lots of info there too.

Rob.

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Yep - I met Don last night. He's about 20 minutes from me. Great guy. Spent a couple of hours with him going through parts, and getting info from him. But wouldn't you know it - he's retiring. I think he knew I was buying a Lotus and decided that was the last straw and quit!

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heheee!!! Send 'im over here to th' BCF!!! He's been doin' that for YEARS.

When you get the round tuit for the five speed, that would be the proper time to pull the whole unit and do the water pump at the same time.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...oh! And make sure to order up a set of double-jointed elbows and some Lotus fingers fer yerself. You'll learn their importance as time goes on. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

If you need shims, etc. be SURE to check with me before you PAY for stuff! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

EDIT: I'm pro'lly as excited about this as you are, Rob! I keep comin' back to this post just to LOOK at the thing! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Post some pix of the engine! The insides an' the rest, too.

WOOHOO!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Doc

I can't take my eyes off of the beautiful red lotus.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Me either, Pat. I wanna play with it! I don't even have to drive it, I just want to "lay hands" on the thing! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

G

Wow - Nice Ride!~ I've always liked Europas since the first time I saw one as a kid. Been eyeballing them on Ebay etc the past couple of years.

Here's a video of one ripping at ACU-4 in Virginia Beach, VA. It's running in D Mod so it may be running a different engine? Can anyone tell from the sound? The acceleration is really impressive.

https://www.obrox.com/evante/DMLotus.wmv

Lotush

Freshman Member
I have a red 72 TC myself, although mine has the TCS rocker and pin stripes. What's your vin #? Europas are known for flaky electrics but are actually easy to fix as it's almost always bad grounds. There's one in the front compartment and two in the engine bay, as well as one behind the dash. Cleaning the connections will do wonders!

Ken
72 TC 2577R

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the mayhem, Ken!!

Don't be a stranger.

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Welcome indeed! I'm 3650R (July '73 build).

I've pretty much sorted the electricals. And have about 500 miles on the car since owning it. Have to say, the more I drive it, the better it runs (I think its biggest problem was sitting for too long).

I have installed air horns, an iPod hookup, and have a set of "Lotus Brand" 5 1/2" alloys ready to go. The Europa is just a blast!

Rob.