• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Can a motorbike tow a car?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thats interesting. Never seen anything quite like it before.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We could really use those around here! In the Hampton Roads VA area it always seems that cars only break down on bridges and in tunnels!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Well that Honda Gold Wing has 1800ccs, which is sufficient for the job. The machine must be awfully top-heavy without the tow gear deployed. Good idea though. I could see a Harley Davidson doing this job as well. Not as much top end as the Gold Wing, but the engine was designed to have much more torque, and at lower revs.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
That may work for Europe and its smaller cars but I don't see a bike towing a Ford Expedition or the like here.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> 78Z said: That may work for Europe and its smaller cars but I don't see a bike towing a Ford Expedition or the like here.
<hr></blockquote>

If ever used over here you could only use it on certain vehicles. But for a car that breaks down in traffic it certainly offers an interesting alternative. According to the website maximum towing weight is 2,500 kg (5,500 lbs).

I actually saw it first as a short story on the "Daily Planet" program on TV last night, then looked it up on the web. On the TV program, the designer of the "Retriever" said weight balance is critical. The current design has just the right balance and that any weight deviation would make the bike undriveable (when not towing a vehicle). He said he thought of the idea back when he was 5! (born engineer?) And that it took him 5 years to perfect the design.

[ 04-15-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

MattP

Jedi Knight
That is cool, I think it could actually handle the Expeditions, at least to get it out of the way. Or that new Triumph bike with the 2.1L or one of those Big Dog things with the V-8 could fit the bill.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
4 guys could push an expedition on level ground for a couple of hundred yards, enough to get it out of the way, and guys in good shape put out less than 2 horsepower, and only over 1 horsepower for very short amounts of time.

Assuming the cradle could handle it, a motorcycle, especially a big one like a Gold Wing or larger Harley could easily get an Expidition class vehicle up to 15mph or more to get it out of the way. Stopping, however, would be where the fun is.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Lawguy,
you hit it on the head, braking!!. I would guess you could design and build that rig in two weeks, but the remaining four years and 50 weeks in developing the trailer brakes to cope with the rig empty and with a variety of load weights seems exceptionally short.

Then there is the other factor of the trailer wagginging the tow cycle. Cars have a problem especially if the towed weight is a big percentage of the towing vehicle. Personally I wouldn't drive one.

Alec
thirsty.gif

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Yep, I don't see this thing as a long or medium distance towing solution, but just for a few hundred yards to get it of a bridge, out of a tunnel or off the expressway and out of the way, perhaps. If the speed was kept at 10mph or below on level ground, and enough room were left...maybe it would work for even our bloated family vehicles over here (don't look at me, we have a minivan that gets almost 30 mpg).