• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exotic rebuild

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
All I can say is wow!
shocked.gif

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2459802100&category=6212

William

Darth Vader
IIRC, the Enzo is made mostly of carbonfiber. That will cost a fortune to fix correctly. Plus, the insurance company wrote it off. I'd not want "write-off" on my car's history, regardless of what it was, or whether I fixed it (well, had someone sufficiently talented fix it). Same can be said of the F50-I remember reading in EVO magazine of an F50 that was written off during a test by the magazine. The owner clearly didn't know how to drive high performance vehicles at their limits and was showing off at a test track. Richard Meaden was in the copilot's seat when it happened. I believe that car was a write off too.
-William

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Over $350K bid for a write off! All I can say is WOW! Perhaps the engine and other bits are worth a few dollars.

Graham

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It must be a LOT worse than it looks. No insurance company is going to pay out that amount of cash if they can avoid it by repairing it, even if it cost twice the auction bid.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Graham:
It must be a LOT worse than it looks. No insurance company is going to pay out that amount of cash if they can avoid it by repairing it, even if it cost twice the auction bid.<hr></blockquote>

Some insurance policies on exotic and collectible cars have a policy that requires payment for "lost value" even if the car can be repaired to a condition where the damage was impossible to detect. Having been in an accident will affect the value regardless of the repair. The average Taurus doesn't have this in the policy and requires you to accept the cost of repairs, not "diminished value."

I worked on this issue a couple of years ago regarding a wrecked Diablo SV. Also, exotic car insurers, especially with their good customers are willing to pay out way too much to keep their reputation, not only with the individual owner, but in the exotic auto world at large. Screw a collector over, especially a very wealthy one, and pretty soon, your business takes a nosedive.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Doesn't look all that bad really. The nose is wiped out but the cockpit on back looks fine and that's where the most expensive parts are. The front wheels are pointing straight so the front suspension didn't take too hard of a beating. Even if the front suspension is seriously tweeked the mounting points probably aren't shattered. There's a good chance the mechanicals absorbed most of the impact and left tub is fully intact. If that is the case it's mostly bolt-on parts.

You or I might not want an XJ6 that was repaired after this level of damage but we're talking about a limited production flagship Ferrari here. On some cars like that the most valuable and only irreplaceable piece is the chassis ID plate.

So what if it's only worth $1million instead of $1.5million when you're done? If it sells for $400k and costs $300k to fix you're still $300k ahead.

PC.

Graham

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
With most of the weighty components in the rear I kind of recon there may be more straining of the cockpit area than it looks like from the photo's, where it doesn,t look bad at all. I wonder if the owner will buy it back and repair it.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, everytime I try to look at it, I get this message

Invalid Item
The item you requested (2459802100) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired and is no longer available.

Frazier

Tony, I'm getting the same invalid message.

Frazier

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Yup, same invalid message, I did look at the exact same listing maybe a couple of days ago and it was up then, must have been de-listed overnight for some reason. Funny though... even when an auction ends early they usually keep the page up, maybe something "funny" going on with this listing.

William

Darth Vader
I've noticed the "invalid listing" thing going on with a few really big ticket items (and I'm not talking about the F18 Hornet). I wonder if some of these items are being listed illegally, or are not being listed by their rightful sellers (the Ferrari was being "sold" by a broker), or if a bunch of people bidding just to say they bid on an Enzo are doing these sales in....
-William