• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Q: Replica & Kit Cars?

Bret

Yoda
Need advice on information & sources for replica & kits cars. I believe there are a number of folks with MG replicas in our forum and would like to know who & where I might get the best information?

Books, Websites etc?

Any suggestions welcome.
cheers.gif

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Bret;

If you were looking for Vintage Cobra or Porsche Replicas I could help some, having worked in the replica car industry for a few years and the one rule is... "Caveat Emptor". There are nice folks in the replica business and only a few business people, so...

I have only seen two MG replicas that I knew of and they were pretty awful, based on Ford Colt or...? I personally wouldn't buy anything from a Florida based business in the replica industry either. There are 100's of horror stories about business practices from straight up fraud, various scams and all types of misrepresentation, and some deals with serious quality issues.

I strongly suggest that you research, research, research... Then talk with folks that have successfully built the car you are looking and beware some kits are virtually unbuildable.

Visit the Knotts’ Berry Farm Kit Car Show this spring, you will find all kinds of kits and replicas of all types and qualities. Frankly some of the replicas are many times better than the originals, featuring computer designed frames and suspension and engine management systems not available in 19-whatever.

Just a few things to further consider.

Best.

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited by: Jim Weatherford ]</p>

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Actually pretty simple to find. I use google and enter "kit car" and get oodles of responses. One in particular lists about 200 individual kits. Locally I have seen MG T series kits, one based on a VW (ugh) and another based on a Chevette! Not bad really, front four cylinder engine and rear wheel drive etc. I am in the last stages of a Factory Five cobra replica and it has been a very rewarding and educational experience but as noted above all kit car manufacturers are not created equal. Bob

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Bob;

At least your close enough to go up and see "The Brothers" at Factory Five if you run into problems.

I've assisted in the build of two and I PERSONALLY never want to go through that again with FFR, absolutely nothing fit (I hope your kit had everything and that all the body panels fit properly), sorry if I seem down on FFR, but I was very disapointed twice. Again I stress it's my PERSONAL feelings based on my experiences. I pray your build goes well, I know you'll like it and by building any replica you'll know it inside and out.

I've also assisted in the build of several Uniques, ERAs and Kirkhams, but they are all much larger dollar builds than the typical FFR, but, I PERSONALLY feel you get what you pay for, at least in the Cobra world. There are just no short cuts to quality.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
A little clarification & information on why I have started to look into replicars.

First of all I’m not interested in VW kit cars or even a MG-TF replicar. I’ve always been a huge fan of the AC Cobras and have just recently been able to convince my better half that we should consider one of the kits or reproductions. Admittedly this is a new development and came about one day when my wife & I were watching a program on SpeedTV. The program American Mussel Cars (I think) and it featured the growing Cobra replicars industry.

Imagine my surprise when my wife said “that’s a pretty car what is it?”

Trying to stay composed – I explained to her the basics behind the Cobra story that just about any car guy (worth his grease stains) knows backwards and forwards. Then I explained the concept of replicas. DIY, reproductions of the originals.

After we finished talking it over – she said that sounded like something neat that we could do together. In the end we agreed to start looking into it.

The next day I got started searching the web and soon discovered that there are what seems like hundreds of manufactures out there to pick from. Thus we come to the reason for my original post. I just now started receiving some brochures catalogs from my first inquires and don’t mind telling you it’s a bit overwhelming. Here is the short list of those I’ve contacted thus far:

Factory Five Racing.
Superformance.
Shell Valley.

FYI – To any of you nay Sayers about working in the Garage with ones spouse let me assure you that Jackie (my better half) is a really sharp gal and I could do a heck of a lot worst for a garage assistant/helper. Professionally educated & trained as electronics engineer (woman after my own hart), she has worked in the Telecommunications and Defense industries for almost 20 years now. So she is very capable when it comes to things technical and not a timid bone in her body when it comes to getting dirty.

PS Bob, if you don’t mind please tell me more about your FFR Cobra & the company?

cheers.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bret:
...After we finished talking it over – she said that [building a Cobra replica] sounded like something neat that we could do together...<hr></blockquote>

Here's one couple you'll never see on Dr Phil. That is one wonderful bride you have there.