• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thinking of buying a Lotus Europa S2... Am I nuts?

RobT

Jedi Warrior
So decided I need more hassle and frustration in my life....so recently started thinking about buying a Lotus Europa to add to the garage. I know of a Series 2 for sale in good condition for what seems a reasonable price. These have the Renault engine, and not the Ford TC. Is this engine problematic?

So am I nuts? Are these cars really just a money pit? Anyone got an opinion (silly question knowing this crowd)?

BTW - Also posted this on the Triumph forum, as I know those folks are not shy in expressing an opinion.

TIA.

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: Thinking of buying a Lotus Europa S2... Am I n

GEEZ, Rob!!!

A) Yes, you're nuts. There, ya happy? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

B) The Renault is likely more problem than a T/C, parts availability is my first thought.

C) They're ALL money pits, just some less than others.

EDIT: BTW: If you DO step into this quagmire, I have some NOS parts for ya: Two sets of rear brake shoes, a left front quarterlight glass, some front lower control arms... mebbe some other bits 'n pieces. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

BIBBER

Jedi Knight

Rob...had some thoughts myself...would like to add a Lotus to the garage as well but every EUROPA looked like a bottomless money pit at least if your looking for orginality. Have started keeping the eye open for a Lotus Elan +2 but not come to any conclusions in this arena re: restroability and operating costs. Let us know what you decide...

Sparkie

I kick myself for selling my S2. It was very dependable as I drove it to work every day for over a year. It helped that I could walk to work if I had to, but it never left me stranded. Let's face it, the engine and trans was very dependable in the Dauphine. I have some spares if you need them, including a 5 speed from my TC that has only 10K miles on it. Have a spare 4 speed too. Just watch cutting off traffic due to those blind spots from the gull wings (sorry to say I did that a couple of times). Mine had the Hermes kit on it and was quite fun with the Weber.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

BIBBER said:
Have started keeping the eye open for a Lotus Elan +2 but not come to any conclusions in this arena re: restroability and operating costs. Let us know what you decide...

Right now they are undervalued and under appreciated. As far as restorability, they share most parts with the Elans. Operating cost is Lotus usual: cheap until something breaks. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior

Dr E & Sparky - thanks for the offer of spares - does this imply I will be needing a lot of them??

I spoke with the owner, and it sounds like a nice example. I will be sure to let you all know if I do decide to dive into the quagmire. Who knows - perhaps I could become the "Tinster" of the Lotus forum! (Note: See Triumph board if you don't know who Tinster is).

Cheers,

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Not implying you'll need lots of spares, just that I have some Europa S1/S2 bits here I'll be needing rid of. If you get that car they'd do you more good than they will me, and I'm not in an e-bay frame of mind. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior

Thanks again for your offer Dr E. I know at the very least I will be needing some advise! Appreciate the offer and understand the aversion to eBay.

Cheers,

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Just know I'm not a big fan of things frog.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag

RobT said:
... thinking about buying a Lotus Europa to add to the garage. I know of a Series 2 for sale in good condition for what seems a reasonable price.
So am I nuts? Are these cars really just a money pit? Anyone got an opinion ...

Yes.Yes.Yes. Same answers as Doc E's.

My recommendation is to drive it and decide. Some people love the ~idea~ of having a Lotus but really don't like driving them on the road. In a Europa or Elan you spend a lot of time feeling very small in a world of very large SUVs. I don't know about the Europa but the other Loti I've driven have very small pedals very close together - wear boots or wide shoes and you'll hit'em all at once. I've had numerous other LBC's and the Loti stand alone as far as a driving experience - some folks love 'em, some don't.

So - drive it, be honest with yourself about whether you really want a car like that, and then decide.