• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lights in rear bin pockets early MK1 Mini Minor

Brum

Freshman Member
Hi I am Ken from Brum living in Kansas I am restoring a 1959 Morris Mini Minor and it has lights in the rear seat pockets the mtg plate & bulb holders are there but the light covers & switches are missing, Does anyone know what the light covers look like so I could find replcements, as I have not found any pics of these in any magazines or books.
I am trying to get it finished in time for the east meets west mini meet in Alcoa Tn.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Firstly, welcome Ken! Glad to have you here on the BCF! Whereabouts in Birmingham are you from? I spent a few years working there on the Ladywood, Hockley, Winson Green, Edgbaston and Harborne areas.....know it quite well, you might say. Now the important part.....Villa or Blues? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Now, to the question.

I have not seen lights in the rear bin pockets of a Mini....any Mini....

I am thinking that this may have been an owner mod in the past. Can you get a shot of one of them?

OP
B

Brum

Freshman Member
Hi thanks, I am from Chelmsley Wood Birmingham between Marston Green & Coleshill.

From what I have read in the mini restoration manual a few of the early MK1's had lights in the rear pockets just below the ashtrays, and this is one of them (it is body number BMK 1710) the certificate from BHS says it was made on the 18th Sept 1959 for export to the USA.

I am restoring it to the condition as it was when it left the factory I have completed the 850 engine & G/box and all mechanical parts. I am now getting the bodyshell ready for paint RD4 Cherry Red

Blues of course

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Excellent......not the part about the blues by the way /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

For my sins I follow the Wolves. Glutton for punishment, I know. Still might be able to join you in the Prem for next season, if West Brom, Southampton and Derby forget to show up..... Congrats on the promotion by the way.

Your rear bin lights are intriguing. I had not heard of that before, but as yours is a very early car, it would not surprise me. All I ever had in my bin pockets was rust.

I would have imagined that the lights would be the same as those used for the interior light, but I am probably way off base there.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
My mother had a '59 Mini (actually, an Austin Se7en) and being the "de Luxe" model it, too had those lights.
The de Luxe also had carpet and a heater, which were omitted from the base model. I think they dropped the lights around 1960 / 61.

Sorry, I don't remember the details, though.