• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine will not stop

Jim R. Walker

Freshman Member
Ok - could someone help me? I have a 67 BJ8 that runs great except when I turn off the ignition the engine runs a few more moments and coughs, shakes before finally turning itself off.

I tried looking at the various manuals, Haynes etc but can not locate this problem or solution.

Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Kariotahi2.jpg
    Kariotahi2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Kariotahi.jpg
    Kariotahi.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Kariotahi 3.jpg
    Kariotahi 3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 62

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Called "running on", I believe that this is an indication of the mixture being too rich. It could also be an indication of a buildup of carbon on the cylinder head, although I think the rich mixture theory is more likely. Adjusting the carbs may help, but always do the easy checks first. Is the air filter clogged up? If the engine isn't breathing right, that might contribute to the problem. If the choke is sticking on that might also cause problems.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
grin.gif

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

dwbening

Freshman Member
Welcome to the forum.
I believe the problem is a combination of carbon buildup and timing that is a bit off.
dwbening

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
As stated in earlier posts, this is usually due to carbon buildup that stays hot enough to ignite the fuel without assistance from the plugs. If it's a mild case, a higher octane fuel often eliminates it (it has a higher flash point). Of course, this isn't an option if you already use premium gas. Opening the throttle fully sometimes helps (after you switch off) by reducing temps but this may not work with SU's (pistons will block most of the bore).

"Running-on" like this sounds awful but doesn't hurt anything. However, cars that do this often are pre-igniting ("pinging") while driving which can burn valves. Retarding the timing a little and higher octane can help. A slightly richer mixture can sometimes work.

Eventually, the carbon should be removed. Older engines needed this done frequently (it was usually called "De-coking", one of my favorite maintenance expressions) probably due to the nasty fuels used back then.

John C

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 72
OP
J

Jim R. Walker

Freshman Member
Wow... thanks for all the help. Gee.... I just got involved with this forum. I appreciate the help, suggestions and acceptance from you experienced owners. I hope someday I can return the help.

smile.gif
Jim

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I agree with all other comments listed, but would also like to add: check idle speed. If it's too high, car will "run-on". Also, be sure it's not running hot (themostat, etc.)

For a varity of reasons, my car does this on occasion (carb/cam combo won't allow real low idle).....I "stall" the engine by letting the clutch out in 3rd gear immediately after switching off the ignition. Not exactly elegant, but it works (be sure you have right foot on the brake if you do this).

Re "de-coking"...there's a great section about this in the TR-3 owners manual (advised every 10,000 miles!). Fortunately, unleaded fuel mostly eliminates this problem.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've had this problem appear occasionally over the years. The last time it was a sharp corner on a spark plug electrode. It would get/stay hot enough to ignite the mixture. I've also found that running lean can increase the combustion chamber temperature and cause deposits to glow. It sometimes helps to give it a good run at speed
devilgrin.gif

cheers.gif

John

Ken G

Jedi Hopeful
On the subject of decarbonizing engines, some of you might be amused at the instructions for my 1925 Rover, to be found on pages 34-35 of the service manual. See https://mywebpage.netscape.com/rover1927/index.htm

(For the sharp-eyed, the car was built in 1925 as a 14/45 and upgraded in 1927 to a 16/50; the manuals are substantially identical).

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50

jjbank

Country flag
Jim R.,
I have had the same problem with my healey. You can try to adjust your carbs or your timing, that is if you know how or trust yourself to do it. I do not trust myself? I researched this problem " running on" and it is not uncommon. I also concluded that a higher octane fuel may help to clean out the cylinders. I have used a product called Bardahl's octane boost. I use it about every third or fourth fillup and then only 1/3 the amount specified. I have been doing this for approximately 2 1/2 years and I have not had a problem with "diesling" or " running on" since. Could some of the more experienced healeyists please comment on my solution?

GoBritBaby

I've been through this recently. So, here goes:
Use high octane gas. AH have hi compression pistons.
Use the proper spark plugs.
Check timing and adjust carbs.
Failing all the above, pull the head decoke and take the sharp edges off the head with a dremel. The sharp edges are hot spots and will ignite the remainging gas- run on.

Good luck