• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What do ya think about the new Mustang?

Bret

Yoda
Hey Guys & Gals,

Gracing the cover of the my new Car And Driver (Feb04) was both the 2005 Corvette and the new Mustang. With all the mixed (love it or hate it) reviews on the new Vette, I was kind’a curious what the forum thinks of the 2005 Mustang?

mustangcoups.jpg

Note: Mustang pictured is the concept vehicle. IMHO I think that the production model shown in C&D looks much cleaner than the concept.

Personally, just like neon lights & tall women (brunettes) in high heals, I find myself drawn to the Mustangs “retro styling”. While I don’t think this will work in all cases, I think Ford has come up with a winner in this case by looking to the past (ala Thunderbird). Looking over the new Stang I like the use of lines & styling cues from the late 60’s Mustangs. Adding to that is the GT gets a V8 with 300 HP & 315 lb-ft. Can’t wait to see the SVT Cobra!

Mind you – I seriously don’t see myself purchasing one anytime soon, but if I close my eyes I swear I can see this modern muscle car being driven by Steve McQueen’s’ Ghost in the car chase in the movie Bullet, battling it out with the two bad guys in the black Charger. And ya know what? In this version the Detective is smiling…

cheers.gif

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: Bret ]

[ 01-09-2004: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The new Mustang really does look the part. I like the styling,but then I always did like the look of the Bullit Mustang. Do you think that the dynamics and the performance can back up the statement that the styling makes? I really hope that it does well.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Much better than the new Corvette!

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aeronca65t:
I like the red one in the background better. (hey, *someone* had to say it!)<hr></blockquote>

FYI - I used that particular picture for reference proposes. This was done in an effort to show the linage and the direct influences on the new Stang.

But I agree with you, I think if we were able to choose one or the other – I think most of us take the older Mustang.

MattP

Jedi Knight
I like the new 'stang too, except the big butt out back. It was sort of like they got to that point and kinda gave up.

Anyone else check out the Detroit auto show? I had seen a show on the new Shelby Cobra concept by Ford. Yes, Shelby did have a hand in it. I never got to see the finished car on the show, but seeing it at Detroit, I don't think he had a strong enough hand. The Cobra just doesnt look right with the minimal curves popular today. That goes for about the whole show, everything is too flat and angular anymore, no life to it. IMHO.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
While we're talking about Shelby (how can you talk about fast Fords and not think of Sheby?), here's a car I saw up close and personal about 5 weeks ago at the Summit Point race track. The guy cruised into the pits and parked near my Spridget...he knew some of the other racers. Some people thought it was a kitcar. The Series 1 has no bad angles....it looks great all around. I'd never seen one in the the flesh before. Too bad it was sort of a flop. The picture is from R&T...I only took wet pictures of the car I saw.

Article on the Shelby Series 1 by Simanaitis here:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=390

2002_12_shelby_lead.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aeronca65t:
While we're talking about Shelby (how can you talk about fast Fords and not think of Sheby?), here's a car I saw up close and personal [/IMG]<hr></blockquote>

There's plenty of time till next Christmas for you all to take up a collection to buy Bas a Shelby to put under my tree!

Basil
driving.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Originally posted by aeronca65t:
While we're talking about Shelby (how can you talk about fast Fords and not think of Sheby?), here's a car I saw up close and personal about 5 weeks ago at the Summit Point race track. <<SNIP>><hr></blockquote>

I was up late last night surfing the cable channels and came across a new program on TLC (the learning channel) called Rides. This particular program was about the development of Fords Cobra concept car MattP mentioned.

In this episode they follow the entire process from the conceptual drawing board all the way to the finished rolling project in something like 6mos. Some of the early Cobras where on hand and used for inspiration to the development team. Likewise Carol Shelby was on hand from time to time at various milestones in the development, but the show never really says if he served as anything more than an inspirational father figure. But conspicuously absent was any mention of the Series 1.

While Ford’s Cobra concept car is kind of cool in its own way, IMHO the car isn’t near as attractive as the Series 1, let alone anything close to the mystic of the early Cobras.
cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That was one GREAT program! The Cobra being developed there was done by Ford itself with Carroll Shelby's stamp of approval...sitting next to one of his original cars, it was the forward thrust of the car had he continued building them - much better than his 2nd, halfhearted attempt pictured above! Wonder when it'll make production & what the cost will end up?

William

Darth Vader
I always kinda liked the Shelby Series 1. Every year up at Road America (usually for the Sprints, sometimes for the BRIC), Shelby has a stand displaying various Cobras and Series 1s. I've only seen a brief video of the new concept, and have to say I don't much like it. Trying to put Cobra styling cues on a box is not going to work too well, IMHO.
-William

MattP

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by William:
I always kinda liked the Shelby Series 1. Every year up at Road America (usually for the Sprints, sometimes for the BRIC), Shelby has a stand displaying various Cobras and Series 1s. I've only seen a brief video of the new concept, and have to say I don't much like it. Trying to put Cobra styling cues on a box is not going to work too well, IMHO.
-William
<hr></blockquote>

iagree.gif
To me it looks like they had a good design with a lot of the spirit of the original, then it melted, and they had no time to redo it.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Hey Gang,

Here is another cool shot of the new Mustang(s). This one appears to be what we can expect of the production models. Unlike the picture in the first post is of the Concept car with the GT500 hood treatment.

The one in the front is the GT that comes with the 300 HP V8 while the one in the rear is the base Mustang that comes standard with a 200HP+ V6 under the hood.

mustang1.jpg

Personally I ain't crazy about the wheels, I'd expect something a little more retro like we saw on the Bullet Mustang a couple of years ago. I also really like the recessed headlights & driving lights on the GT as well as the Rear Spoiler (ALA Mach 1). The entire package is very reminiscent of the 60’s & early 70’s variants. Also the rear 1/4 window is more appealing to me than what was done on the concept car. There doesn’t appear to be any kind of hood scoop offered for the first model year but I’ve read that some sort of hood treatment is due out with the new SVT Cobra. I'd like to see a blacked out hood with a shaker!

cheers.gif

[ 01-09-2004: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
On a pure marketing basis, Ford has their heads up their own tushies...

They keep creating cars that are essentially design tributes to their 50s and 60s machines. This is to please the 40-60 year olds who owned or dreamed about owning these cars back in the day. Sure, it's fine to make a replica of a GT40 and try to get guys to come in and buy a Windstar, but with the Mustang, it's a totally different ballgame.

When was the last time you saw a 40 year old walk in and buy a Mustang?

The Mustang has to appeal to the 16-30 year old set. That's the target. For the most part, the Mustang competes against Acura RSX and Subaru WRX. Ford has a long history of thinking it's still selling only against the Camaro.

The new Mustang looks cool to me. But hey, I'll never be in the market for a Mustang or any "Pony car." If I want a car that looks like a Mustang from Bullitt, I'll go buy a Highland Green '67 Fastback.

I want my daily driver to look, perform (come on, that '67esque grill has to affect its coefficient of drag!) and have comfort like a modern car, or the car to be cutting edge.

And if it's any indication, the PT Cruiser is nearly dead (give it 3 more years.) The New Beetle sales are in the dumps. Ford already axed the Thunderbird. Enough is enough with retro design.

You can be retro and modern and still be successful. Look at the Miata!

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sammyb:
On a pure marketing basis, Ford has their heads up their own tushies...

<<SNIP>>

When was the last time you saw a 40 year old walk in and buy a Mustang?

The Mustang has to appeal to the 16-30 year old set. That's the target. For the most part, the Mustang competes against Acura RSX and Subaru WRX. Ford has a long history of thinking it's still selling only against the Camaro.

<<SNIP>>

You can be retro and modern and still be successful. Look at the Miata!
<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm… I may or may not agree with your statements. But in fairness to Ford, I don't think you can condemn them without going after the rest of the automotive industry too. Just about every major automotive manufacture is going retro in one way or another.

Now I can’t speak for everyone in and around my age group, but as for me (a forty something consumer) – I don’t know if I will buy one of the new Mustangs. But I might consider it as I haven’t seen one that looked this good in over 30 years.
wink.gif

Yes, automakers would be negligent in their efforts to ignore the “Ricky Racer” (16-30) Rice-rocket crowd if they want to build on brand loyalty down the road. But remember the largest market of affluent (don’t work at record stores or Mickey D’s) car buyers is still and will continue to be the aging baby-boomers. In my case that will hopefully be at least another 30+ years.

As for the Miata? Well most of you who’ve been around the forum for long you'll know that while I’d never own one (personal reasons), I’ve always liked them. But I think the Mazda needs to consider dumping it soon, because if they keep putting cladding on them at the current rate their going – it’ll eventually look like a two door Grand Am.

crazy.gif

[ 01-12-2004: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

V

vagt6

Hats off to Ford for resisting the 17-30 year old market pressure to make the new Mustang look like a cockroach-shaped rice burner.

I have a totally restored '70 Mustang fastback in the garage, so of course, I have little objectivity on this subject.

But, this is the nicest-looking Mustang in many years in my opinion and I bet it will sell like hotcakes. And if it performs well and is reliable, it will be a real winner.

V

vagt6

Oh yeah, IMHO the wheels have got to go, they don't seem to blend in very well.

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
I like the new Mustang, and it certainly would have stolen ALL of the New Thunderbird's sales if Ford hadn't already decided to discontinue it.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tiger:
I like the new Mustang, and it certainly would have stolen ALL of the New Thunderbird's sales if Ford hadn't already decided to discontinue it.<hr></blockquote>
It was my understanding that Ford limited the new T-Bird to a 4 year run when they announced it. Of course that would have changed had they sold at a phenomenal rate. I agree that the PT and New Beetle have about played out. But the new Mini seems to be holding its own and I think it has a chance to be around a while, for the same reason that it was a good concept originally. The shoebox shape, front engine, fwd etc. Anyway, they appeal to my wife and daughter because they're cute and practical and not because of anything nostalgic or retro. Now I just have to wait for the used market to settle down to my budget level.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
Although I had a '65 Mustang coupe for 30 years and still have a '66 convertible, I would buy one of these in a minute if I didn't already have my heart set on a new Lotus Elise (my wife: "You have too many cars already!"; my response: "But we'll trade your car for it since the Lotus is for you, not me!").

In spite of my obvious love of the first Mustang, I have always thought the 1969 model was the most muscular-looking pony car ever built and this one looks like a '69. Aerodynamic? Who cares, Mustangs were never meant to be econoboxes--it has 300-HP to overcome all that wind-resistance!

However, the best feature of this new-generation Mustang is that it is on a new chassis. The old Fox- and Fox4-bodied cars were just not up to the standards of modern car design. Just shows that even the most popular cars can get stale after 25 years of "making do" by just tweaking and re-skinning an existing chassis. And the new Thunderbird lives on by leaving its chassis to the new Mustang. Would that make the Thunderbird a "chassis donor"?
confused.gif