• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Side Curtains + Rain = X

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
How much rain really comes in with side curtains? Is it just kind of trickling over the side or is there like a river torrent coming at your face?

Also, how much water comes in with roll up windows? I saw a TR4 with the top and windows up, and there was still a half inch gap between them.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
That's what the rust holes in the floor are for - to let the water out!
grin.gif

G

A properly fitted top with rollup windows should allow zero rain in. The trick is to align every thing so that it all seals. I had to take my top frame apart, realign my doors, realign my side windows, reseal the glass at the door, new top.....and no leaks. Really not that big a deal, just time consuming. My TR6 has the same windows as a TR4. My TR3 (many years ago) leaked a bit but only in severe weather.
Again, everthing in this area can be realigned, even as far as flexing the body with new mounts if the doors don't close properly. Just depends on what you want. Leaving water on the floorboard of any TR spells certain death to the car. Rust is it's vilest enemy.

Bill

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Webb,

My rag top which is now falling apart, sealed pretty good. There were a couple little leaks but it wasn't so bad and there was never a 1/2 gap betweent he windows and the top. By the by i do have roll up windows, but not a rag top currently.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I've never owned a car with side curtains, but know some TR3 owners, probably the best known car with them.

One guy (who had done his own restoration) didn't trust his side curtains 100% and was a little gun shy about taking it out in rain for that reason.

Another guy (who has racked up 283,000 miles in his car) drove across Canada back in 2000 as part of a group driving tour adding 16,000 or so miles to the odometer. Needless to say he would have driven through rain at various points and he has full trust in his side curtains.

Just some thoughts... Like Dr. Bill said maybe it's the way you set it up, sounds like some work to get them "almost" fully sealed but worth it.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
My TR-250 was pretty good at keeping water out...even better than the '91 Lebaron Convertible I owned at the same time.

Even though I've owned two TR3s, I've never fitted sidecurtains! I have them for this one, but I'm missing plexiglass for one, and I'm missing one mounting bracket. I never drive it in the rain, and if I ever got stuck out there in a rogue storm, I'd drive with the sidecurtains off without hesitation and just allow the interior to dry.

All convertibles leak, period. I've never driven one that didn't leak at least somewhat under specific conditions.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My MGB does not leak. I have had it in some pretty torrential rain, and there were no problems. Mind you, that was with the original roof, when I replace it I suppose I will have to be really careful with the new installation. All MGBs have wind-up windows.

V

vagt6

Webb, I rode in a very nice TR3 to Richmond from Charlottesville and back last year to a car show. It had correct side curtains and the top was new, and everything was fastened properly.

It rained, we got wet. Not exacted soaked, mind you, but water came in between the top of the windscreen at the top, and a little in the side curtains.

Moral to the story, don't drive it in the rain unless you have to.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Nothing is better than driving down an expressway in the rain, and having a trucker send a wall of water at you. Doesn't matter if you're driving a Triumph, MG or modern convertible -- you're soaked. My Chrysler Lebaron literally gushed water from the entire header rail once. My Corvette (2002) will send a stream through the corners.

But I've driven convertibles as daily drivers for years, and would always choose a droptop (or roadster) than a hardtop.

BRIAN TOWNE

Webb I have owned 5 different side curtained TR's. When it rains they leak. A proper fitted top and side curtains will keep the car dry standing still, But as soon as you are rolling, you get wet. It can be a challenge driving in the rain, especially if it is more than just a light shower. Anyone with a TR2 will tell you the wiper speed is not the best. If there is any cross wind, the side curtains will suck out on the leeward side. Unless you have very good Tenax fasteners on top of the windscreen, and a good seal, water drips all over you. Sooooo when you plan a tops up trip....... take a towel or two. It is only water and hopefully the the sun comes out drys everything up. I have driven lots in the rain and don't mind at all. My wife on the other hand........ nuf said.

OP
Webb Sledge

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
Is there anyway to put a towel along the top of the windshield or something that will keep water from coming in, even if it's just temporary?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Webb,

I don't think I'd try a towel. Do you not have a gasket on yours? If I was going to do a temporary fix I would use something rubber, like say some thick vacuum hose. That way it would be soft enough to squish down and hopefully almost kind of seal. Nothing will probably do a very good job short of the proper gasket though.

Cheers, Oh my God what am I going to do the smiley's for my signature are gone.
Walter

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...does a TR3 leak...

[/ QUOTE ]

From the Philosophy statement of the Triumph Register of America:

"...We believe in side-curtains. We believe in engines that last forever. We believe in a rock-solid ride and cut-down doors. We believe that overheating in traffic is an unchangeable, natural phenomenon, just as earthquakes and tornadoes, no matter how unfortunate they might be. We believe that the person inside an automobile who is cold in the winter and hot in the summer--just like the weather outside--is a more healthy person, who will no doubt live longer than those who drive along in a controlled, unnatural environment..."

In my experience they could add -- "wet when it's raining".

If one is concerned about staying perfectly dry or keeping the interior of the car perfectly dry either forget about TR3s or move to Arizona. Oh, I guess that is what I did.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
How true humor can be.