Thread: TR7 rubber carb mounts

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TR7 rubber carb mounts

Last fall I replaced the rubber carb mounts on the TR7. At the same time I put a seal and gasket kit in both carbs and replaced the throttle butterflies. I replaced the butterflies because the edges appeared to be worn and scored. I put it all back together and all was well, (even got the idle speed down to about 900 rpm warm. The problem I'm having is that I seem to have a "catch" in the throttle at about 1/3 peddle, it seem to be just a sticky spot, however the resistance needed to overcome it increases with the engine temp. I thought maybe the shafts were worn, however they appear to be fine. Also the rear carb mount has failed, rubber seperated cleanly from the metal, I contacted VB and with a little whining (from me) they agreed to replace them. I thought the two were maybe related, but I dont think they are. Anybody have any suggestions, ideas, or input?

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: TR7 rubber carb mounts

Throttle cable need some lube? I dunno if that's something you do to a TR7, but I know some cars like a little engine oil in the cable sleeve once in a while.

My other thought is this. I noticed that my butterflies stick a bit near the bottom of the throttle bore (and I just rebuilt them). Could be the brass plate expands faster than the aluminum carb causing the extra effort you mentioned? Just a thought.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanx guys, I apprecieate the replays. I replaced the throttle cable last fall, and did oil it whrn I unstalled it. I disconnected each component of the throttle, (pedal, cable, linkage) and worked each seperatly, and all work just as they should. Right now I have both carbs removed, and both work just fine at ambient temp. I dont see any evidence of the butterflies rubbing on the inside of the carb bores either. Kind of scrtching my head on this one, however, IA, your suggestion about the different rates of expansion make the most sense yet. I'll keep you posted.

Steve

Hello,

Definitely lube the throttle cable at least on a annual basis. I do mine by disconecting it at the carbs and wiring the cable to the hood or whatever so it is verticle and gravity will push the oil to the other end of the cable. Make a funnel at the high end with tape and add oil. This makes things work a lot smoother and helps keep the cable from breaking when you are on the road. You might want to keep a spare cable in the boot along with the tools to replace it with because from experience I know they never break at a convenient time. Good luck.