• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sweet music from 26/5255

DJThom

Jedi Hopeful
Just started up the Elan for the first time (without header). How sweet it was! Awesome!

I've tried several times previously, but had some issues with the starter (terminal-coil connection melting) and fuel pump (intermitent, now using electric Carter pump in trunk). Having fixed both of those, I was ready to go tonight!

Other than the putting venere on the dash, there aren't any really big things left. Should be motoring shortly...but not before the Lotus track day at Mosport raceway. Too bad!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Congrats! When you say without header, do you mean with no exhaust hooked up? Or do just mean a non-header manifold?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Basil said:
Congrats! When you say without header, do you mean with no exhaust hooked up? Or do just mean a non-header manifold?

I ~hope~ the latter... otherwise we'll be reading about a bunch of HIGHLY costly valves...

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
If he only fired it for a few moments the valves will be fine. How could anyone take the noise long enough?

Have a nice day
Steve

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
meh. Good point.

OP
D

DJThom

Jedi Hopeful
miss-type. With ONLY the header, no exhaust.

I'm going to try with a 2.5" straight pipe to start with and see how loud that is. There was a lady driving a beat up Elan in the paddock at Watkins Glen a few years back with just a straight pipe and it sounded pretty tame.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've always run the S3 with headers and straight pipe back to a Stebro or Ansa "dump tube" at the end. Bit loud, but I've always held that since the car is so small it SHOULD be loud. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
I run a straight pipe to a Supertrapp, it is very loud, but I like it. I wear earplugs when I drive on the freeway

Loud pipes saves lives! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
DJThom said:
I'm going to try with a 2.5" straight pipe to start with and see how loud that is. There was a lady driving a beat up Elan in the paddock at Watkins Glen a few years back with just a straight pipe and it sounded pretty tame.

In that context I think it would.

I used a straight pipe with a small Stebro at the back as did Doc E and it seemed pretty anti-social idling through the villages and small towns. Great sound on the open road, though.

Today, I'd make it a little quieter to avoid unwanted attention.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mornin' John! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

With what the RicerBoi crowd run around here, I've no compunction to tone down the Elan. Even with the Stebro it sounds like a REAL car, not some two-stroke weed-whacker gone mad. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Good point Doc.....next to some of these ricers I should imagine that an Elan would not attract too much undue attention from my erstwhile colleagues........ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Does this mean that the beastie is about to be resurrected?

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Steve said:
Good point Doc.....next to some of these ricers I should imagine that an Elan would not attract too much undue attention from my erstwhile colleagues........ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

My car is much louder than most of the ricer cars for sure and it definitely attracts attention (although I think people get confused- the big noise is coming from such a small car). I set off car alarms and when I set off on early morning runs, I have to tip toe the car out of my neighborhood and let it warm up on a main street. In terms of db, it is probably more like an obnoxious Harley Davidson (when I am getting on it), albeit a much sweeter sound. I tend not to get on it around town, but it sounds amazing in the canyons
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

I am probably going to try removing some of the baffles to see what that does for it, and maybe someday investigate another set up

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Morgan, you can look straight thru those Stebro blat tubes. All it does is chop out some of the higher freq sound.

I'm digging it out carefully, Steve. Kinda like archaeology: a layer at a time. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
D

DJThom

Jedi Hopeful
Last night I took the car out for the first time. It's one thing to hear twin cam music in the garage, it's onother to hear it while moroting down a country road!!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WOOHOO!!!!

Congrats!

OP
D

DJThom

Jedi Hopeful
Just took the pics last night. A friend with the gorgeous '66 MGB also has a gorgeous Nikon SLR...

Attachments

• 6836.jpg
    6836.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 89
  • 6837.jpg
    6837.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 6838.jpg
    6838.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 6839.jpg
    6839.jpg