• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bought an 88 Esprit....

Gwilhelm

I always loved these cars... ever since I saw James Bond flicks...

I came across this and couldn't pass it up. I'm now at car number 8!!!

Its really clean with low 41k miles. Engine needs a little detailing and maybe some added umph....

For now I'm gonna drive it!!!

main.jpg

4002.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

A very classy looking car. The colour makes it more elegant than some of the "neon" ones I've seen.

...did I mention my complexion is getting a bit green?!? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
G

Gwilhelm

Thanks, Was never a big fan of silver, but it does fit the image of the Esprit.....
Saturday I pick it up in Knoxville TN. It can't come soon enough....

oh.... the anticipation is KILLING ME!!!!

Sparkie

Yes, very nice! You should really enjoy it. I kick myself for selling my S2. Your 88 has the Renault GTA tranny and that is a HUGE step forward from the Citroen POS. Excellent choice!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and we're sittin' here waitin' fer more PHOTOS!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
G

Gwilhelm

Sorry....I been so bummed out.

I only got to drive her 4 times... then i took her to a very recommended mechanic here in Cincy... and he has had her SINCE!!!! I had asked the tech to check her over, which probably a good and bad thing...

Apparently the Esprit was parked for well over a year... which caused some problems... but it is a 20 year old vehicle, so I didn't expect her to be mechanically perfect.

Needs all new ball joints, all new rotors, pads, brake fluid, fuel hoses, fuel pump mounts, fuel filter, complete oil service... I could go on and on... gonna run me about $2k.

I'll see if I can get some more pictures I took before she went to the mechanic uploaded tonight....

OP
G

Gwilhelm

Stupid question: How can you tell the difference? I have the inboard rear brake setup.... Does that tell me Renault?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and CHANGE that cam belt & tensioner. If it's been static that long, do it for drill. The valves will not survive a failure.

OP
G

Gwilhelm

Previous owner did that before he sold it to me. I have the invoice from it..... But I'll ask him to check it..

Thanks for the heads up...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good. Sorry if that seem'd brusque, but a belt and a tensioner are infinitely less expense than valves and possible piston damage. The "newer" belts are much better longevity-wise, but it struck me that it may have been overlooked.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Greg...slick car....$2k is pretty cheap considering...
I know how the spontaneous BUY BUG can hit you!!!
actually keeping my eye peeled for an older
Lotus 2+2 myself but I've learned the hard way $$$$'s
that due dilligence and patience has it's advantages.

GOOD LUCK...keep us posted.

Sparkie

Inboard rear brakes means Citroen. Don't worry, it's not the end of the world. It is the ring and pinion that are the weak points. Not too long ago you couldn't find replacements for love or money. They were simply made of unobtanium; the worlds supply was nearly exhausted. Someone finally makes them now.

As long as you use your head on takeoff, that means not laying down full power to break the tires loose - don't dump the clutch. Once the wheels are rolling i'm told there will be little issue with laying the power down.

There are things that can be done such as removing stress risers, peening, cryo, but I wouldn't go to the trouble of removing the trans - it isn't real fun. Man that thing weighs a ton!

Take a look at these guys: https://www.lotuspbc.com/

OP
G

Gwilhelm

Well.... I finally got her back from the mechanic 2 months later.... I haven't even registered or transferred the title yet! She looks pretty, but I'm worried about reliability. Part of the reason it took so long was as soon as the tech would fix one item, something else would break. He told me the car was ready 3 times!!! then call me up minutes before I was goning to leave and said "well brakes are great but she is misfiring..." The saga last night was a leaky clutch master cylinder. It wasn't leaking externally, but into the drivers floor pan!! Now the carpet and mats are soaked with brake fluid!

The total was $3100.00! with several free hours of labor at $80 an hour. I felt bad for the mechanic. He was pulling his hair out trying to get all the problems sorted. I think he gave up and told me to come get her. He needed his garage space back!

Disgusted.....

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>L</span>ots <span style='font-size: 14pt'>O</span>f <span style='font-size: 14pt'>T</span>rouble <span style='font-size: 14pt'>U</span>sually <span style='font-size: 14pt'>S</span>erious

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
MoPho said:
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>L</span>ots <span style='font-size: 14pt'>O</span>f <span style='font-size: 14pt'>T</span>rouble <span style='font-size: 14pt'>U</span>sually <span style='font-size: 14pt'>S</span>erious

or:

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>L</span>eaks <span style='font-size: 14pt'>O</span>il <span style='font-size: 14pt'>T</span>remendously<span style='font-size: 14pt'>U</span>nder <span style='font-size: 14pt'>S</span>tress

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Leave Out The Untrained Spazzes?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
hmmm... That has merit, Rob. Gotta work on me "L"s...

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Take heart! One does not buy a Lotus for the years of turn-key, trouble-free motoring. If you want that, you buy a used Vette...but then you have a used Vette- nice car, little heart.

A Lotus is a fitful, jealous, tempermental mistress...but when it's properly sorted...oooohhhh yeah.

Of course, you are best off studying up on them yourself and preserving the other half of the Lotus ownership experience for yourself...the wrenching.