• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB or Spitfire?

nberggreen

Freshman Member
Well there are a few decent specimens of both in my area and I'm having a hard time deciding which to buy.

What would you recommend? Why?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
They are both great cars and I'm sure you will get as many opinions as Carter has liver pills. The MGB seems to me to be a bit better build quality and a bit more "refined" (I own a 78 Spitfire by the way). The Spitfire is a very cool looking and very fun to drive little car and I love the way the entire bonnet lifts open, much like the Jag EType.

I guess if I were you I'd look at them both, drive them both if possible, then consider the condition and price of each. The B probably worth a bit more, so I'd take that into account also. It will ultimately come down to which one grabs you the most upon closer inspection and which seems the better value considering price and condition.

That probably didn't help much, but I tried to stay objective, not just say "oh, buy the Spitefire: simply because I happen to own one.

Basil

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I'll take the B, if it's a pre rubber bumper. Reasons...classic styling, ease of finding spares and tonnes of high preformace bits around. I have worked on both, and can only say that removing the tranmission for clutch sevicing, etc. if far easier on the Spit. The B will bring more $$'s if you choose to ever sale, and there is a larger following of people that love B's. I have had my B for nearly 30 years.
Just my 2 cents, enjoy your week-end, David.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
All things being equal I'd probably agree, but for example, if the B is in bad shape for a lot of $$ and the Spit were in great shape for a lot less $$, well, then I think the Spit might win out if it were me.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You are right, Basil. I do know of a very nice Spit for sale near me. If you have any interest, please send me a private mail and I will provide his contact information.
Cheers, David.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Grantura_MKI said:
You are right, Basil. I do know of a very nice Spit for sale near me. If you have any interest, please send me a private mail and I will provide his contact information.
Cheers, David.

I already own a very nice Spitfire, but he could put it in our classifieds.

Steve_S

Yoda
I am of course biased, but I think the MGB is a far more solid car. If you need help inspecting a car feel free to let me know. If you decide on a Spitfire, I know where one is for sale in project condition.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
If I recall correctly the B is a unibody car. If there is any rust in the body it is going to be very expensive to repair. The spitfire has a good solid frame under it so the body, for the most part is supported by other steel. The sills need to be in good shape though as they provide rigidity.

I know almost everything today is made with unibody but I'll take a solid frame under me any day. 'Sides that the spitfire is a heck of a lot more fun to drive IMHO. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There is justification for both of these cars. I have owned one of each and liked either one. The Spitfire was a lot of fun around town, while the "B" is easier on the highway.Both have weaknesses but have appeal as well. You must like what you drive so test each. The one you want will stand out very shortly. Having said all this, a spit with gobs of horsepower would make this old heart run a few beats faster.
Also, welcome to the best car forum on the net. people here are friendly and always willing to give advice, as well as help in any way they can. Buy a car, post lots of pictures, talk lots, and enjoy life.
Dave

Steve_S

Yoda
Darwin is correct about the rust issue. However a unibody car such as the MGB is far more rigid than it's old-fashioned "frame and body" counterpart. Weight is also typically reduced. But as pointed out above, carefully inspect any unibody car for rust as this is your worst enemy.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Agree with Steve! I have seen many a person buy a Jag Etype for which on cursory inspection they seemed relatively rust-free, only to find out later that the car had serious cancer eating away in certain places.

Steve_S

Yoda
I don't have any new PMs. Try again?

Also, if you find yourself an hour south, feel free to stop by and get a 101 on MG shopping.