• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Westfield XI progress report #2

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Got a lot done this week until running out of sheet metal around 3:00 this afternoon. The air ducting for the radiator is done, the fiberglass closeout panels for the side pods are drilled and fitted, and the whole forward shrouding and ducting is trimmed to the body contour.

I had next planned on masking the chassis off to spray sound/heat proofing on all the alloy panels. But I got to looking at the rear of the chassis behind the axle assembly..... I installed the rear bodywork and crawled in to have a look: it seems there is room for a good sized storage box under there! Off with the tailpiece and a few hours later I had built an alloy box by enclosing the square tube frame with sheet metal. I extended it up past the frame using 3/4" alloy angle and used piano hinge to make a folding lid. The whole thing is removable since it's attached to the frame with screws.

Now I am finally starting to mask the frame tubes and exterior aluminum on the side pods to spray the Lizardskin. It requires the temp to be above 60 degrees before I can start so I am also waiting for the weather.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sounds like you've been busy. Hope you're enjoying the work as well.

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Yes I'd like to see pics as well.. This is a project that I'd like to get into one day..

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Is it done yet?

here is a real one for sale to get you excited /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus-195...sspagenameZWDVW

56LotusXIOutside0005.JPG

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I have been on hiatus for the past month: we have taken a 2nd home in Tucson, Az. and have been there furnishing the house. However I am back in LA now and have started to organise my workshop. I found a roll-up garage to rent so now I am no longer building under a tent in my side yard. Unfortunately the day laborers who helped me move just piled everything up in the middle of the floor. It has taken me the past 4 days to tidy up the place. Yesterday I began building a second level attic for storage and Wednesday I need only screw down the flooring and then I can return to car assembly.

This interruption has put my plans back a bit, but it was too good to pass up. 13'x20' with a 13'x10' storage loft for $400 a month. And less than 10 minutes door to door from my home.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds IDEAL!!!

Just so long as you make allowance for a properly stocked fridge, too! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I need to put that on my list!! Seriously, the portable swamp cooler has been a godsend: keeps the temp inside below 80 even at mid afternoon. The parking lot was just jet sealed and re painted so it's very black and very hot. This was perfect for my task this past week: spraying on the Lizadrskin sound and heat barriers. It is water based so it was very quick to spray a panel and then lay it on the asphalt to dry. It went so well that today I coated the last pieces and began reinstalling them. I am using a fuel proof adhesive sealant instead of the silicone RTV used by the factory. The sealant is the same dark grey color as the Lizardskin so it all looks pretty good. The downside is that I have added a bit less than 20 lbs to the final weight, but if it works to keep my feet cool it is a fair trade. Also it makes the underhood area a uniform color and texture as well.

Anyway I am almost back to square one!! I hope start bolting on the mechanicals in a day or two and have it on the wheels and steerable in a few days after that.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is good news, indeed! A "solar oven" for FREE!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

The extra weight is hardly a concern, as it allows you some small measure of comfort... ya ain't runnin' LeMans with this thing! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
LOL, try telling that to the old timers on the yahoo westfield list, I think they have given up on converting this heathen to the church of Colin Chapman. I have no respect for the sancity of Chunkys original design: I thought they were gonna die of apoplexy when I mused about using titanium bolts on the suspension. The phrase "purity of design" was used in conjunction with the word "desecration"!!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Heheee!!! You've run face-first into some really zealous (albeit misguided, IMO) purists then... Heck, Chapman would laud titanium fasteners!
With enuff of those you'd offset the extra mass of the Lizardskin treatment, NO SWEAT! (pun recognized) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

It ain't like this is one of the original factory cars or somethin'. *sheesh!*

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OOOhhh!!! Suggest you're contemplatin' stuffin' a STROMBERG head T/C Kent engine in it! (I have a head if you need to be ~convincing~) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Nope, I have APT building a 130hp A-Series for me. It was supposed to be finished in early Dec., but now I am looking for early July. I funny thing is that I was waiting for Grassroots/Vintage Motorsports to finish their Midget series so I could find out the hot ticket for these engines. Now I have learned that the engine in line after mine is for the magazine, they are gonna have to wait for me!!

The hold up now is their dyno, it has been down hard for at least a month.

Good thing I have had all these other delays, I haven't been waiting on them.

BTW, do you think anyone might want to come by my shop in Reseda to check out the kit? It would be fun to have a Lotus (and others) open house before I head back to Tucson in mid July.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I just thought the idea of a "modern" twin-cam would be good to wave under their noses...

Wish I were closer, I'd be a "regular" around there. "Garage Wallah". /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, I just registered and posted over there.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
heh... oddly, I'd read the question over there before here. I'm not driving a Lotus (yet), but will be more than happy to show up in my B for a look see /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DO that! We will turn you to the TRUE (Black Lotus) Dark Side YET!!!

BWUHAAHAAHAAAA!!!!!!!!1!!

*choke* *gasp*

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
heh... I had no idea that Dr. E was for Dr Evil /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Westfield_XI said:
...BTW, do you think anyone might want to come by my shop in Reseda to check out the kit? ..
Count me in! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

PC.