• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New BeaveRun Track

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
For those of you within driving distance of the Pittsburgh (USA) area, the existing BeaveRun race track is being expanded. The new "south" track can be combined with the existing course for a total of 3.2 miles, or it can be used as a separate track.
Link:

https://beaverun.com/facility_south_track_design.htm

It's always good news to see more race tracks. We are also hoping that the other new/proposed tracks in the eastern USA will get off the ground (<u>Palmer</u> in Mass, <u>Thunderbolt</u> in New Jersey and <u>Alpine</u> in Pennsylvania)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez, Dave!!! That's why they call it "racing"!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

...I really DO understand, but: think of it as a glass half-full... you may not have room to pass, but then the Other Guys don't have room to spool up and pass YOU either! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

EDIT: And it still chafes me rump to know that circuit is within walking distance of my ancestral home... GRRRR...

D

Deleted member 3577

Momentum Smo-mentum.....For once I'd like to pass someone in a straight section.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Nial--

I'm planning on running the Elva at both BeaverRun and the PVGP this July. Can you or anyone who has had experience on both of these tracks tell me what they think about proper gearing for them? It's been suggested that I should use my 4.55 diff for PVGP and I wonder how BeaverRun compares to that? I have a 4.2 as well.

PATR8

Jedi Knight
My racing has been limited to Auto Crossing , but those of you LBC guys coming to Beaver Run or PVGP, if you need help, do not hesitate to drop me a line. If I am not off fighting terrorist that week end, I am willing to come help in any way possible. I would like to get a better understanding of what it takes to race in teh SCCA clases.

D

Deleted member 3577

PATR8 said:
I would like to get a better understanding of what it takes to race in teh SCCA clases.
Well heck....You don't have to wait that long......

Where do you live in south western Pa.?

I'm gonna be flag'n at Nelson Ledges next weekend for a driver's school......Come on out!

Watch a bunch of noobs bang into each other like idiots. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I live about 30 minutes north of PGH, where is Nelson Ledge?

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
From the Nelson Ledges web site:

From Pittsburgh and Youngstown: Take I-76 west (PA/Ohio toll road). Merge onto I-80 west. Take exit 209, which is OH-5. Exiting the toll- booth proceed west on OH-5 to OH-534. Turn right on OH-534, heading north. At US-422 turn left heading west. At OH-305 turn left again continuing to head west. Watch for the track on your left about 4 miles from US-422.

You can visit the Nelson Ledges web site at Click Here.

If I'm using MapQuest correctly, you may be as close as a little over an hour away from the track!

Tim

Twosheds

Darth Vader
I guess they don't have The Longest Day of Nelson anymore. I went up a couple times in the early 80s. Once with a TR7 and once with a Mustang. Same group of drivers. It was kinda insane.

D

Deleted member 3577

I was a starter at the 12 hr. last year....

We did 2 hours on and 2 off for the entire enduro.

BTW....I got to checker.
(It just worked out that way)

Last year there was an announcement that they were gonna do 24 this year......Don't know if they are still planing on it or not......
A 2 hr. enduro is hard on a car.
A 12 hr. is absolutely brutal on a car.
24 is INSANE /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
PATR8 said:
I live about 30 minutes north of PGH...

That puts you ~close~ to WhatsThatNoise, BeaveRun & The Ledges. In my old back yard, too.

And oddly enuff there was a D. Scott who ran an outfit called "Redline Racing" for years, campaigned a FF. His business was in Sewickley at first, then moved to Shadyside... any bells ringin'?

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I wish I owned a business in Sewickley and owned a racing team.... I am just a soldier who peiced together a TR8 for running around in and hoping when my kids go to college I might be able to use the money I spent feeding them to race. I Live closer to Saxonburg if you are familiar with that

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm re-posting my earlier inquiry and hoping that someone can give me some info:

"I'm planning on running the Elva at both BeaverRun and the PVGP this July. Can you or anyone who has had experience on both of these tracks tell me what they think about proper gearing for them? It's been suggested that I should use my 4.55 diff for PVGP and I wonder how BeaverRun compares to that? I have a 4.2 as well."

Thanks in advance.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Micheal:

I have no direct advice on this since I'm running a different engine, but for refefence, I am running a 3.9 in my 1500 Spridget. My very mild engine gets to 6000 RPM at the end of the back straight at BeaveRun. (185-60/13, A032 Yoko tires)

And I can tell you that a friend came here with a Sprite (with a very trick 1275) last year and ran one practice with a 4.22 After practice, he put a 3.9 in the car.

I've never run in the park, but it looks tight (based on the various interent videos).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Schenley course is tight. From the sound of it though, the BeaveRun track would NEED the taller diff, and the Park could be run with it if you didn't want to do an "in flight" swap.

...just my tuppence worth.