• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Does anyone have a machine shop and a TR6?

G

As well as some free time and a desire to help their fellow man (well, me to be precise)...

I'm trying to convert my car to fuel injection. I was trying to do it fuel only, but the tach reading from the coil isn't reliable enough, so I need to add a trigger wheel sooner than I'd have wished.

I was thinking that a ford edis wheel, a fan eliminator, a lathe and some small amount of welding, along with a little basic fab for a mount would fit the bill nicely, but I don't have the requisite tools (or abilities) to do the job. Don't even suggest looking locally...

If anyone has the aforementioned, I'd be happy to pay for the time and materials. PM me if you'd like more info or are willing to help.

TIA, Alan

OP
G

A long shot, but Herman Van Den Akker at hdvaconversions.com
is a seasoned (read that, old) machinist. Of course Herman is the fella that does the 5-speed conversions for the Triumph. I have talked to Herman in person and he is quite the character. He has forgotten more about Triumphs than most people will ever know. Herman and his lovely wife drove their TR250 from Cal to Dallas for last summer's VTR convention (one of their shorter trips). What a gorgeous machine (the car), and of course with Herman's upgrades.

swift6

Yoda
Have you tried asking Rick Patton? You should be able to find him through 6-pack (oh webmaster). I don't remember if he is using a trigger wheel or not but I belive that he is as he is using coil packs for spark distribution.

OP
G

I did - he made my new distributor pickup for me - but he's too busy to do this piece.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Do you have a blueprint of the part that you need made? I work for a swiss machining house and a metal stamping house that both have CNC capabilities, but do not design for customers.

OP
G

ELTGuy

alana said:
Sadly no - I have sample images, but no blueprints.
The final picture here gives you an idea of the sensor mount: https://www.teglerizer.com/fi/cranktrigger/ms_gt6_cranktrigger.html

The picture here gives you an idea of the trigger wheel: https://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/ficonv.htm

ignore the fact that the balancer is off a caddy and he's running a cogged belt - it's a TR6 under there.

It's actually a pretty simple fabrication job for someone with a welder, a bandsaw and a lathe.

I am an Mechanical Engineering student and have access to SolidWorks (and Pro/E). If you give me the dimensions you need for the wheel... I can make a "part" up for you, which you can then send out to a CNC shop.

I also have a 1969 TR-6 in my garage in a LOT of pieces... so I can check your dimensions against my parts.

No charge.. I just like the experience.

elt2jv@yahoo.com

( I don't check this forum often )

OP
G

I have a wheel. I have the center. I need to get them mated...

Once that's on, then a mount needs making. That's the bit that needs a little design. I need to mount it off the timing plate.

ELTGuy

alana said:
I have a wheel. I have the center. I need to get them mated...

Once that's on, then a mount needs making. That's the bit that needs a little design. I need to mount it off the timing plate.

That second link you posted is the guy who does the TBI FI kits. He seems really helpfull and does a lot of his own fabrication work. You may want to email him directly and see if he'd be willing to fab up something you could use then.

Good luck

edit ... N/M just read you already tried him. Bummer

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That site (and the concept) is awesome! Great info, Scott!! Thanks!

<scampers off to find a running windows box!>

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
DrEntropy said:
That site (and the concept) is awesome! Great info, Scott!! Thanks!

<scampers off to find a running windows box!>

Yep; I've yet to send the drawings in for fabrication though. The software will even quote you a price based on quantity and material.

The software took me a couple of hours to learn, but it was worth it when I got the hang of it.

OP
G

Scott that site is great. Good find. Now I have to find the time to learn to use it...

I just re-emailed Rick P.

Despite all the other stuff he has on his plate, he's agreed to help me out. Since he has a working version of what I need on his car already, hopefully it won't be too onerous for him.

As an aside, and of course as a plug since he's helping me out, I've bought a couple of things from him in the past, and had him make a custom distributor pickup for me. His workmanship imo is superb. Everything he's done for me is first rate. Better yet, he is a really nice guy to deal with.

I also have to admit that one of the main reasons I went stupid with my car is seeing his home built supercharged mpi engine.

Thanks also to everyone else who offered to help out. That's one of the nice things about places like this - you don't feel like you are on your own...

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]That's one of the nice things about places like this - you don't feel like you are on your own... [/QUOTE]

Until you break it putting it back together. No one left to blame. Ask me how I know that and know that and know that.......

Good luck Alan....

OP
G

I dunno - Tinster is doing just fine blaming Pedro.

But then at least his car is finally running, so who am I to throw stones...