• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

License Plate Mania; Send Pics

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Kodanja:

I was reading Your "Spring in the East" finally: I also noted Your "License Plate" on Your Sweet Looking TR6: Here in PA we have a Similar looking Plate with a "Model T or Model A" that resembles Yours but in Multi Colors: Is your Plate a Standard CT issue by the DOT or Did You have It Custom made by someone?

Regards, Russ
PS: Enjoy the Spring Like weather for a bit More! Cool down on its way; BOOOOOOOO!!!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Russ - I must have got up earlier than Kodanja.

Here in Connecticut cars over 20 years old can get a "classic car" registration like Kodanja has. Looks pretty good, but some folks are concerned about the "Early American" when we're not driving an American!

With a classic car registration ($92), the maximum value for property tax purposes is $500. That also qualifies the owner for antique auto insurance with many insurors.

You can get whatever registration number the computer assigns, or you can request a "vanity" number if it's not already in use. Vanity numbers are an added fee.

Personally I think all fees should be waived for anyone having to go through our state DMV offices.

Tom

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well said Tom

I kinda lucked out and got my 1st choice on the marker "TR6"

I spoke with someone from CT DOT, The guy who had the plate before me, had his TR6 for 27 years before he got rid of the car.

I guess timing is everything.

I'm registered as a part time Antique vehicle so my insurance is extremely inexpensive.(even with Full coverage)

Frankley I dont care that the plate says "Early American", whats it gunna say "Early English"

It's not that early!

DSC07715.jpg

DSC05918.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[/quote]I guess timing is everything...[/quote]

When I lived in Indiana I asked for a 'TRIUMPH' plate but was told it was already taken. But then the clerk added (with a conspiratal wink) that last year the plate holder was a week late renewing it. If he did that again it would be available to anyone for that week.

I succumbed to the temptation. I sure hope that guys isn't on the Forum, or if he is that he got it back when I left Indiana.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
In California, you can use a plate of the year of manufacture, if you can find one. Fees are the same as if you had current, contemporary plates.

gms57tr3

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
can anyone figure out why my photos are not posting?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
get rid of the https:// before you post in the image window

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
that worked, shows off my new rear bumpers too

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
Russ - I must have got up earlier than Kodanja.

Here in Connecticut cars over 20 years old can get a "classic car" registration like Kodanja has. Looks pretty good, but some folks are concerned about the "Early American" when we're not driving an American!

With a classic car registration ($92), the maximum value for property tax purposes is $500. That also qualifies the owner for antique auto insurance with many insurors.

You can get whatever registration number the computer assigns, or you can request a "vanity" number if it's not already in use. Vanity numbers are an added fee.

Personally I think all fees should be waived for anyone having to go through our state DMV offices.

Tom

Tom,

Some CT-DMV branches are better than others. I went to one branch when I first moved here and they wanted me to take the entire written and driving test over (I was driving for Ten years). I then went to a different branch and all I had to do was fill out the paperwork, pay the fee, and wait for my picture to develop. Crazy! When you're ready to get the 3 registered send me a PM and we can go over all the crazy stuff they are going to try and make you go through. Do you have back-up lights installed? Seat belts? That high beam indicator you need is on the inspection list. It's certainly another learning experience.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Harry
I went to the Hamden DMV branch for inspection fairly easy run though, they checked all that plus the under mirror inspection, also put it up on the alignment test. Luckly it passed. (Try to go when there very busy, bit of a wait but worth it)

Make sure ALL electric devices work or they'll give ya heck! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nopity.gif

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I hear ya there they are all are different. I use to go to Bridgeport. I will not go to a state run facility again. The comical part is the TR3 has no back-up lights although the state inspectors want them on the car. My car was originally registered in CT so some previous owner made some state inspector happy a long time ago and installed back up lights on it right alongside the directionals. It's different and another story. I also know of one state inspector that asked the owner why the windshield washer did not work. I told the owner some cars have em some do not. Of course this is after he installed it to make the inspector happy. Another state inspector started walking away and told the owner it needed to go through emissions before it can be inspected until I told him that it is exempt. I had my 3 inspection done by a private state certified inspection garage. First time with the private facility for me and I basically did the inspection for the guy. He couldn't fit in the car and he had no idea what operated what but I got my inspection form stamped and off I went.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
When in doubt get a tall inspector!!..lol /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

Very Interesting! Here in PA a Vehicle that is "20yrs Old or Older" is considered a "Classic Vehicle" and is Noted on the Plate: A Vehicle that is "25yrs Old or Older" is considered an "Antique Vehicle" and is Noted as such on the Plate: Either one cost $75.00: You can request a "Personalized License Plate" for Add`l. costs and submit 3 choices and Hope for the Best: If You do that; Then It becomes a Regular Plate & You would have to get It Inspected etc: There are "Never" any Inspections for "Anything" with "Antique Plates"!! There is`nt even a Window Sticker showing the Registration Date etc etc: My Insurance is thru "Condon & Skelley" out of S. Jersey, (Had them forever), and Their "Agreed Upon Value" is set @ $20,000 & cost Me $135.00 per Yr: That`s for Everything!! One day I`ll post a Pic of My Plate so You Folks can take a Peek:

Regards, Russ
PS: Their calling for 8" - 12" of the White Stuff Tomorrow; [censored]!! Is that Legal to say on this Forum??

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
I GUESS NOT! CENSORED!!!!!!!!

Russ

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Every vehicle sold in the province of Ontario must pass a rigid test for safety. But the nice part is, only mandatory safety regulations from the year of manufacture are required.This means if your car came with it from the factory, it must work. Also, after 20 years, they are considered classic cars and are exempt from emissions tests. Safety Inspections are only done at title transfer.
Personalized plates are available from the province for a fee according to how many characters you use up to 8. Thus 14DNA means "one for Dave and Annie." When you're at the DMV you can inquire and they will do an immediate search. This will tell you instantly if your request is available.You can use year of manufacture plates but the previous title holder must sign off, which can be very difficult. Anyway, that's how we license the dog sleds here. Dave

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
After debating lots of different ones with my wife, here is what we ended up with...

plates.jpg

Maryland is only slightly cheaper on a historic car when the plates are personalized. But we dont have to get in inspected, or emissions tested when it's registered as historic.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Lifestyle or otherwise?
P1190004.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Awesome Graham!

(Straight to the Point)