• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ay.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I washed and waxed my Spitfire in preparation for the show today- over one hundred cars in Phoenix. This morning, Sunday, I twisted the key and the engine almost caught. I pulled the choke out and then the starter motor wouldn't budge. I tried rocking the car in gear, and then tried a cable from the battery to the starter. No luck. Second consecutaive years I have not had the car in this show. Maybe it is time to get one of those new gear reduction starters.
The show was fun- I saw some terrific cars- ten spitfires, 14 TR6s a bunch of Minis and MINIs, DeLoreans Spridgets. My wife's taxi, an Austin FX4D, did get a third place award. Met a guy that has a Beardmore, and listened to lots of stories from passers-by saying my dad or grandfather "used to have one of those."

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I would have pushed it to start it and drove to the show...

I'd read all the posts about those 'high torque' starters before I'd buy one...lots of problems getting one to fit...

I really don't think a 9 to 1 compression engine needs a 'high torque' anything!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, we fitted one to a client's V-12 E-Type and it's made a world of difference.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OK, now *next* year, you'll know to park on a hill the night before!

(and don't worry about starting it when you want to leave the show...it's a Brit-car show, so plenty of folks will he happy to join in and give you a good shove).

Love those Beardmore hacks...very classy!
Beardmore3.JPG

OP
T

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It was five o'clock in the mornng- no one to help push. This morning my wife! exchanged starters- from her car to mine. It worked. Curious about what was going on, I tried my starter direct from the battery... It works. I suppose something got stuck? Maybe next time I'll loosen some bolts and tap it with a hammer. T.T.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Use the hammer FIRST!!! Or a Louisville Slugger. Have "Wife!" hold key in the start position and rap the starter smartly with the bat... "VROOM!"

...as a substitute a cricket bat works equally well.

EDIT:
Then replace starter at wife!s earilest convenience.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Before you put the starter in, take a look at the condition of the gear teeth on the starter pinion, the CLEAN IT. I would soak it in gas, kerosene etc until it is spotless. screw and unscrew it unit there is No crud at all left in it.
Then put it back. DO NOT OIL IT. Oiling will just cause dirt to accumulate and eventually jam up the works. If you feel the need, you can put some dry graphite lube on (usually available at the hardware store as lubricant for locks)