• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Grand Tour of Classic North American Race Tracks

PeyoteBill

Freshman Member
This year I'm taking four months or so to travel to all the classic racetracks in North America hauling the race car of which I am the current caretaker of (Peyote) in an Airstream trailer I converted into a car hauler/camper (Nero). Peyote is a significant, though very homely car that raced at Road America and many other tracks across the midwest in the 60's. I have an overwhelming amount of information on the car on my blog and more being added every day. It's a backyard special based on a 1959 Triumph TR3 built by Bill Ames in 1959 and raced throughout the midwest for many years.

Nero is an interesting device on its own. I got a little carried away building it. It's based on a 1989 34' Airstream Excella that I gutted and rebuilt as half garage, half living space. It's pretty cool--it was the center of a lot of attention during it's maiden voyage at the CSRG race at Infineon last year. There's a photo gallery here.

What I'd like help with is ways to fill the schedule out (the current schedule is here). I'm traveling 15000 miles in four months, and there's lots of time between races--even some weekend holes in the schedule. I'd like to see as much as I can. Car collector shows (especially favoring race cars), great garages, museums, collections, and great restaurants. My definition of a great restaurant is an unpretentious place with a great cook in back and a personable waiter(ess) out front.

I also have two developing holes in August--looks like I won't be racing at the VSCCA Summer Sprints at Lime Rock, and I can't find a race at Brainerd. Your suggestions are very welcome.

I'd also like any and all of your suggestions about things I should see or experience enroute. I'm probably passing near or through your home town at some point. What shouldn't I miss?

I've set up a special page in my blog called Schedule Additions where you can leave your suggestions as comments. You don't have to register to leave a comment but it would be nice if you did so I can give credit where it's due and contact you if I have further questions. I'll also be checking back here for advice. thanks so much for the help

bill

Steve_S

Yoda
Welcome, Bill! If you are in the Los Angeles area, don't miss the Petersen Automotive Museum and the Nethercutt Collection.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Bill:

Welcome!

If you are free, VRG (Vintage Racer Group) will be running some nice vintage events on the east coast.
I'll be running a number of their events with #11 (below).
Their website schedule can be found at:

https://www.vrgonline.org

Your Special reminds me of a similar-looking Special I've seen at the Lime Rock Vintage:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Lime_Rock_04/special_with_brit_pushrod_six.jpg

Great stuff on your web blog. Love that camper too. Stay in touch!

ps-just type in any web URLs and they will appear as links automatically...no need to add the embedded cobe.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Re: Grand Tour of Classic North American Race Trac

Welcome Bill; This is the place where people will tell you where to go at the drop of a wrench. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif That is some rig you have built, and the trip sounds like a fantastic way to spend the summer. I hope your wife & dog are making the trip, too.
Left you a comment/suggestion on your site. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Re: Grand Tour of Classic North American Race Trac

Also, you might want to consider the 50th anniversary gathering at Virginia INternational Raceway near Danville, Virginia June 8-10. This is their annual Gold Cup gathering and will be a very worthwhile event to put on the schedule. Check it out on their website at https://www.virclub.com
for more information.