Thread: TR4/TR4A Oil Pan Bolts

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

TR4/TR4A Oil Pan Bolts

I carefully replaced the oil pan gasket a few months back, and I see I have leaks at the bolts--each bolt on one side, and a few on the other side, have oil hanging from the hex head.

Can I remove those bolts and put gasket sealer on the bolts, or will that cause a mess?

Note: I suppose its possible that's just where the oil rests, and the leak or leaks could be elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: TR4/TR4A Oil Pan Bolts

You can try, but I'm not sure removing one or more will help you unfortunately - I've read about this problem before on the team.net arena, and I think the problem quite often is small distortion on the pan itself, sometimes caused by overtightening. You might be leaking elsewhere, and it is just finding the low spots.

Sorry, that's not cheery news - if you try and are unsuccessful, and eventually pull the pan to redo the gasket I think a quick check on the pan lip could help a lot.

Randy.
    Randy
    59 TR3A - running
    70 TR6 - running
    64 TR4 - now with the next custodian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Same issue here. I'm going to pull the pan and use sealer on both sides of the gasket, check the pan and retork carefully. I'm sure it will still leak, but then at least I will know that it was done correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've used "McKanica" silicone sealant on all my gaskets. The motor doesn't leak a drop. When I rebuilt the motor, they forgot to send me a pan gasket. I used this sealant, without the gasket, and NO LEAKS!

Bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are using a gasket, you have to put the sealant on one face of the gasket, lay it on the pan, then carefully turn over the pan on a clean flat table top so the weight of the pan presses down on the gasket. Leave it overnight. Then, the next day, apply the sealant to the other side of the gasket and bolt the pan into place.