• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Clutch MC stop bolt and clutch slave adjust

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
TR3A Clutch MC stop bolt and clutch slave adjust

Is there a set length to the bolt stops in the MC box for the TR3? I believe I have my new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder adjusted pretty close but the pedal returns about 80% of the way then hesitates returning all the way back to resting position sometimes. Unless I have to adjust the threaded rod on the slave a little more? Also there are three holes for the return spring on the anchor plate. When is that needed for adjustment? And the shaft also has three holes .....is the middle one used most commonly and at what point would you go to the top or bottom one for adjustment?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Re: TR3A Clutch MC stop bolt and clutch slave adjust

The only place I've ever seen the slave rod positioned is in the center hole. Which hole you use for the return spring probably wouldn't make much difference, as the are all pretty close together IIRC.

If the pedal is having trouble returning all the way, check under the dash by the pedals. There are return springs for both the brake and clutch pedals that have a habit of breaking...especially the clutch pedal return spring.

The pedal adjustment screws on the outside under the bonnet just adjust the final returned position. They should be adjusted to give about .030" clearance between each push rod and the piston in the master cylinders. This free movement can be felt at the pedal when depressed gently by hand. Normally, they never have to be changed unless you had the whole assembly apart.

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag

In addition to what Art mentioned another possible reason the pedal doesn't return all the way is rust build up in the pedal shaft bushings or pedal shaft of both the brake and clutch pedals. The linkage to the pedals will need to be removed to the master cylinders and the pedal assembly's will need to be removed. The pedal shaft and pedal shaft bushings will need to be cleaned and oiled. You will know this is the problem if either pedal when depressed individually makes the other pedal move. clean the pedal ends on the flat as well because this could cause the pedals to bind.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag

Thanks for the info Harry. So if the stop bolt has been changed out by the previous owner,and its a slightly different length ,it shouldnt matter as long as there is the 30 thou clearance?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan

I had the clutch pedal arm hang up on the return and found out that the cross pin in the end of the clutch master cylinder push-rod had worn about 1/2 way through. This was causing the hang-up. I happened to be in Virginia at the time, but I had a spare one. After changing it, the problem was resolved.

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I was just told in no uncertain terms that I must depart the forum to go buy window shades... Lucky me. Anyway the Ball book states, Unscrew the adjusting screw together with the locknut until a .030 inch feeler gauge can be passed between the locknut and the support bracket. Without allowing the adjusting screw to turn, screw the locknut to lock the screw. This is the adjustment description for a <span style="color: #FF0000">Lockheed brake system </span>on a TR3.

For the <span style="color: #FF0000">Girling</span> system the master cylinder piston plunger must be fully extended out at it's end of travel. Then adjust the locknuts on the pushrod so there is always 1/2 to 5/8ths inch free play on the pedal travel before the piston plunger begins to operate. This is the setting for both the brakes and clutch master cylinder setting <span style="color: #FF6666"> </span> .