• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who makes a short run of windshields ?

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I need a couple of curved windshields made , it is for a car that less than 50 were made back in the 50s,

any idea who can copy my cracked one ?
it just has one crack so it could be used as a pattern ,

I would buy 5-10 of them at least , and 20 if I had too

Any ideas ?

any idea on cost ?

thanks for your help

Beaulieu

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not as easy as that if its safety glass...if it has a frame, you could fabricate one out of Lexan.

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
thanks but it must be laminated safety glass for windshields

rear windows would also be nice to make , they could just be tempered glass , but the hard part is bending them /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Beaulieu

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Gotta be shops out there to do that. How else do the hot rodder guys get windshields for thier chopped Mercs and other customs?
It would probably work a lot like a sign or print shop... Once they have the pattern made they could make as many as they wanted much cheaper than the original one with all the tooling costs

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
Hi

I thing those guys just do flat glass or cut down laminated for chop tops,
I have sen them at old car shows here,

They do not bend glass /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

beaulieu

swift6

Yoda
I saw a thing on one of those car shows with Chip Foose where he had some custom windshields made by making a steel pattern and then the glass was vacuum formed to that shape. Don't know the name of the company though but it was in southern California. Let us know if you find someone. My brother will need a custom window formed for his VW Bug that has had a load of custom work done to it.

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the tip,

I just emailed someone I know at Street Rodder magazine ,
maybe he can find out from Foose

Beaulieu

update , just got an email from my friend , he did not know how Foose did it , will try and check for me.....

swift6

Yoda
I think it was when Foose modified the new model Thunderbird. Before the "OverHaulin'" days. I think it was in the early days of "Ride's". If that helps.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used to work for Pilkington Glass in Stockholm, Sweden twenty odd years ago.
We made car glass, both laminated and tempered.
We often did one-offs for the custom crowd without much problem.
I'd call the major car glass manufacturers and see what they can do.

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
Banjo said:
Gotta be shops out there to do that. How else do the hot rodder guys get windshields for thier chopped Mercs and other customs?

Actually, the chopped Mercs use the original laminated glass
windshields, I watched a friend of mine do his, with a sandblaster,
did both sides, then cut the center bit with a standard box
knife...

SteveL

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi beaulieu and rulle7,
looked at same myself a couple of years ago, pilkington glass could do but only in lam, not safety glass,looked at using second hand glass with profile close to required and cutting to suit, doesnt work, cost of doing made me walk away

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I figure ( OK hope ! ) that the first one costs $1000-$1500 to set it up , and then the next ones cost $200-$300,

This is only a hope from what others have said

Beaulieu

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
BEAULIEU

try Viracon
Owatonna Minnesota
800-533-2080

They are one of the very few in the us that will do short runs. Tooling on average part = $4k prolly 10-20 parts to play the game.

IF you can find a NAGS number on the bug of the existing w/s
you might contact LOF/Pilkington in the USA to see if the tooling is still avail as they will do 5 or so parts but might have to come from Europe etc and wont be cheap. BUT just fiding the right divisin/person will be a chore.

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I tried to get LOF/Pilkington to do something ,

talked to them at SEMA show , really a waste of time ,

Windshields that I know they make are not available here in the USA , I can buy them in Europe but they say they do not exhist /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

The ones I need have not been made since the 60s probably , so having the number probably will not help.

There must be someone !

Maybe I need to wait for Cuba to open and get the guy they had on the TV show that made his own !

Beaulieu