• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New, Hardened Shift Fork Tapered Pin from TRF.....

G

I just got in my new upgraded hardened shift fork tapered pin for my tranny from The Roadster Roadster Factory.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>IT'S MADE IN CHINA....</span>

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What do you expect. China is doing a lot of the TRF manufacturing.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm sure China has facilities to harden steel. Heck, I've got a small oven at work that I use all the time to harden tooling that I make. I don't have a Rockwell hardness tester here at work, but I do have a set of hardness files that I can use to get me close to what the hardness is of something. It'll get me within five points on the Rockwell scale.

It sounds like you're condeming the product just because it's made in China, but unless you know what the actual hardness is, how do you know if it's good or bad. Besides that, do you know what the best hardness should be for such a product?? My guess would be about 45-50 on the Rockwell scale.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I remember when it was bad to have MADE IN JAPAN on the label. Now we put Japanese transmissions in our British cars. So does it really matter these days where it is made, as long as it is quality. The TRF commissioned manufactured items I have acquired seem of equal to superior quality to original or other sources.

Ray

OP
G

Re: New, Hardened Shift Fork Tapered Pin from TRF.

I just got in my new upgraded hardened shift fork tapered pin for my tranny from The Roadster Factory.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>IT'S MADE IN CHINA....</span>

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>I'm so happy.</span>

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Bill, you slay me!

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Bill,

Want to try for three,

596-055 $10.95 PIN, fork to clutch shaft (high-strength replacement-Moss

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful

Skip this message if you don't want to endure my rambling.

Off-shore importation is a hot topic that seems to pop up on almost every Internet forum I've ever looked at, regardless of the forum's actual stated subject matter. I don't expect to change anyone's mind--because this stuff runs deep--but I'm going to state a few of my own observations.

I'm employed by a medium-sized audio/electronics distributor that markets products through catalogs and the 'Net. Some of you would recognize the name. We sell a lot of stuff sourced from Asia, including some that we design or specify ourselves and directly import. I work with many of these foreign vendors, and even visited China for ten days back in October '05.

Chinese manufacturers can and will build to any specification. They don't have a very good reference point sometimes, considering their screwed-up political/social/economic situation, but they know how to get things done. If you don't specify quality, you won't get it by default. If you do impose strict standards and work closely with them, they can do some very impressive work. It all comes down to partnerships and communication.

Like many Americans, I am skeptical when a product is revealed to have been sourced from China, but what I have learned is that the country of origin is not automatically synonymous with "junk". The percentage of quality products keeps getting better, too. It's a tough situation for consumers: nobody wants to lose their job to foreign competition, but everybody likes to go to the store and buy inexpensive shoes, kitchen appliances, TVs, computers, and, well, car parts.

I'm not trying to promote a personal or political agenda here, I'm just sharing my own observations.

As long as engaged and conscientious suppliers like TRF work with the supplier, I think the parts are OK. If the supplier is less committed...look out!

Best regards,

tomshobby

Yoda

The machining trade has been coming back from China big time. Backlogs at extruders and foundries are growing also machine shops and tool makers are very busy. The reason is the quality. But that does not automatically mean these pins are inferior. There are a lot of qualities in a pin that are at least as important and maybe more so than hardness. Many alloys can be hardened and some will be tough while others may only become brittle and break easily. I would think something like D2 tool steel hardened and then slightly drawn back to reduce brittleness would make a fine pin.
Would I use a Chinese pin? Only in a place where I could replace it in 5 minutes and it would not cause damage if it breaks.
In other words I totally agree with Bill!

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

I'm may be really flamed for this but I don't care to buy anything from a country who's #1 goal is to do everthing in it's power to make this country disappear.

If I know it's made in China, and I have a reasonable alternative...even an unreasonable alternative, I'll go elsewhere. Virtually everything I've ever bought that's been made in China, India, Pakistan or the like has been throwaway junk.

I've got a pair of Nunn-Bush shoes in my closet that I bought in 1987...been resoled twice...still look great...made by my neighbors here in the US. Try THAT with a Chinese shoe.

Come to think of it...you think these British cars are unreliable? They wouldn't BE HERE ANYMORE if they had been made in China 50 years ago.

I shop at Wally World...I just don't buy much of their Chinese c%*p.

And, for me, it's not a matter of quality...it's a matter of conscience....

OP
G

YankeeTR said:

Then you don't buy much....over 80% of their products are
Chinese made.

I know this isn't the forum to make a statement but they will swallow us. It is just a matter of time. Our own corporate greed will bring us down. Our WalMart mentality is fueling the flame.

swift6

Yoda

Just remember that the current version of Walmart is not the company that Sam Walton started. It changed drastically behind the scenes after his death. Sad really. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

I did a short rant on this China thing about a year ago. I went to Albertsons, a grocery store, to buy some lutefisk; it was made in China. I got some frozen crayfish (mud bug) tail meat the other day; a product of China. This is just getting stupid!

jerrybny

Jedi Knight

Unfortunately its the sign of the future. In a few years China will own the manufacturing world. Nothing we can do about it. The labor rate there is just too low to compete with. Hopefully with time their quality will improve. I sure hope so cause I figure thats where I be getting my replacement heart from. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee

I can't say I disagree with any of the above, but still prefer to avoid the whole business by drilling, tapping and putting in a grade eight bolt. Haven't had a failure in thirty years.

Tom Lains
TS8651 & 58107

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader

This has gone on for years. One wonders why TRF, MOSS, and the other suppliers of these parts continue to provide only the poorly designed original models. Are there that many of them still out there?

Ray

Twosheds

Darth Vader

I heard that Moss only supplies the hardened pin now, and not the original pin.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

TR6BILL said:
YankeeTR said:

Then you don't buy much....over 80% of their products are
Chinese made.

Yep..You're right. I used to shop for food when I was on the road...usually once per week. Now we go on occasion.

But you'll find other chains...most other chains...all have way too much cheap junk from China and other 3rd world countries.

Other than poor quality, I really don't want to buy stuff made by slave labor and child labor. No air quality standards...no worker protection...they dump all of their heavy metals right into the groundwater. We spend big $$$ improving air and water quality....and they laugh at us because it makes us less competitive with them.

Recently, I saw a documentary and they interviewed a young Chinese woman who moved out of the country and got a degree in computer programming. She said she left the family farm because her father only made about $180.00 per year in income and now she makes $200.00 per month as a computer programmer. At that rate I'm betting that the average Chinese doesn't buy much from the western world...

I know this isn't the forum to make a statement but they will swallow us. It is just a matter of time. Our own corporate greed will bring us down. Our WalMart mentality is fueling the flame.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

TRMark said:
I did a short rant on this China thing about a year ago. I went to Albertsons, a grocery store, to buy some lutefisk; it was made in China. I got some frozen crayfish (mud bug) tail meat the other day; a product of China. This is just getting stupid!
Lutefisk? Geez, I have to help out at a lutefisk supper on Saturday...I think we could win this trade war if we just forced the Chinese to eat all of that lutefisk...they'd be too sick to compete!

When lutefisk is outlawed only outlaws will have lutefisk!