• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anybody up for the British Reliability Run?

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I THINK I'm going to wing it and enter my (non-running) TR2...I SHOULD have this road-worthy by October!

I'm going to do the Wisconsin deal...maybe provide a chase truck with room for spares for those who bring their own parts. And carry along my tow dolly just in case...

Whaddya think?
https://www.abrr.org/

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thinking about it. I have been keeping track of the event for years.

T

Tinster

I'm in. Been thinking about installing a trailer
hitch on Crypty's front frame.

Thay way the Grey Ghost with the hitch ball can
rescue Crypty when he breaks down.

Is dragging a TR ok by the Reliability rules?
I can have Crypty's engine running the whole
time he's being dragged by the GG.

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Well Dale, it's NOT a drag race but maybe we could diguise the tow chain....

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I was thinking about it. But at the risk of revealing myself to be a total wimp, the down-side is how much mileage has to be covered per day. I know the whole point is a reliability run, but I think the reliability of an aging British sports car can be demonstrated by motoring for, say, 100 to 200 miles per day and then reaching the hotel early enough for lenghty cocktails and revelry. 700 to 800 miles per day is just a grind. I've always thought of organizing a reliability run on the east coast with a much more tame daily schedule and a lot more time spent at the bar each afternoon and night. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
MadRiver said:
I was thinking about it. But at the risk of revealing myself to be a total wimp, the down-side is how much mileage has to be covered per day. I know the whole point is a reliability run, but I think the reliability of an aging British sports car can be demonstrated by motoring for, say, 100 to 200 miles per day and then reaching the hotel early enough for lenghty cocktails and revelry. 700 to 800 miles per day is just a grind. I've always thought of organizing a reliability run on the east coast with a much more tame daily schedule and a lot more time spent at the bar each afternoon and night. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
It's a nice, leisurely 400 miles per day...bring along a riding mechanic so he can fix stuff while your driving thus saving time for the massive consumption of spirits that evening...

heck, I rode a snowmobile 456 miles in one day....

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
D'oh! I meant to say 700 or 800 miles in *two* days. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Still, I'd rather do 200 in a day and then sit at the bar. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Yankee
that heading is an oxymoron for sure........
Regards
Craig

TR674

Jedi Warrior
yankee
I think it is.....the Oxy torch and my Triumph have been good friends in the past.
Will the winner of the 'reliability' run get a full set of imperial spanners to re attach all the bits that fell off the British cars along the way?????(LOL).
Regards
Craig

swift6

Yoda
Well it is modeled after the 'Round Britain Reliability Run'. Although that event is non-stop and factors in time, miles traveled and fuel used. So it is an economy run as well as reliability. The cars to beat are GT6 and 2000 Saloons. The 2000 Saloons have an advantage because they carry a third driver so they suffer less driver fatigue. A fourth driver would be too big a weight penalty. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The achievement of an LBC reliable enough to do these events is something we should all aspire too. My TR8 appears to be reliable enough as it is my daily transport. My TR6 has made multiple 600 mile trips without incident. It can be achieved. Believe it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
My old TS74011L only broke three times in 13 years of driving it.

Twice the fan broke and went into the radiator. I now believe it was caused by the motor mounts sagging and allowing the fan to hit the frame.

One other time we were coming back from a VTR event (that we missed by a week!...long story!) and the pinion gear decided to lose one tooth...the car would shudder at low speeds and do the same around a corner. But it was fine at 60 MPH so I kept on driving.

I figured the closer I got to home the cheaper the wrecker bill would be. And, since it was already BROKEN, what could I hurt?