• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

cold start injector

t-rocks69

does any one know of a inexpensive repacement for my coldstart injector for a 81 tr8 fi???i believe mine is bad i haven't started the car in about 2 months i installed all my goodies from christmas recharged the battery. the goodies were a MSD system and a FSE power boast valve (rising rate fuel regulator) am getting spark to the plugs the fuel system is pressuring up. but the engine wont start..i have pulled the cold start injector out tested the lead and am getting power to it but when i plug the lead in and start the car no gas comes out..(i did this earlier this year because i thought i had a problem with the cold inj. but it sprayed me just fine in the face so i didn't bother with replacing that problem was a relay already replaced..
any help or sugestions out there..
t-rocks69

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The cold start inj. should spray you provided there is fuel to it from the pump and the ECM is telling it to do its thing and it has has the electrical power to open. If you verify that the fuel is there under pressure then you could "hot wire" it to test its function. My experience is with the FI on my TR7 but they are both Bosch L-jetronic systems and pretty reliable except for the age related electrical gremlins. I too have had to replace the dual relay as have many others. I always advise starting with the simple stuff ie: the inertia or crash switch then verify fuel pump operation and so on. Good luck and hang in. You own what is arguably the best TR ever built.
driving.gif

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Guess I need to get my post count up. Now that I've reread your post and see that you well know what your doing I'll address your original question which is about an inexpensive replacement for your cold start inj. You might be just begin with your local Auto Zone or NAPA. The bosch systems or a version were used on virtually everything in the 80s and availability should be pretty good as well as reasonably priced. A phone call might just yeild a satisfactory result. Sorry for running on so, but only want to encourage you.
thumbsup.gif

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
The World Wide TR7-TR8 owners club has a chart on their web site with crossreferences to replacement parts for most of the sensors and injectors used in the FI system.

There is a ton of other information about the FI system, including repairing the ECU, and animated diagrams for the fuel flow and sequence of operation.

Unfortunatly, its all in the members section. I can't link from that part of the site.

www.tr7-tr8.com

Richard Cannew runs the club/website and is selling nothing but membership. The club is just winding down its first year of existance, so membership is still small. Its been well worth the membership fee to me so far.

The forum there isn't very active, but Richard responds to every tech or restoration question, and its not unusual to get someone from S&S Preperations responding. Can't get better TR7/8 help than that.
wink.gif

[ 01-05-2004: Message edited by: Mark Beiser ]</p>

OP
t-rocks69

t-rocks69

thanks every one for the replies i found a replacement 90 dollars not what i wanted to spend but o well better then some of the other parts on this car..again thanks every one for your help and support
happy new year
troy

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
If it's L-jet, go to your local junkyard and start looking under the hood of anything european from about 1980 through about 1990 or 1995... you could probably get 10 of 'em for $90.

OP
t-rocks69

t-rocks69

well put a new coldstart valve in its spraying but the msd 6al i put in won't let the car run i need a 8910 tach adapter so i have to wait until tommorow to see how all my goodies went even though its cold here i will drive with the top down..
i will let you all know tommorow how it went
troy

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Glad to hear your apparently making headway. Was hoping it would come out in context, but I've got to ask and risk exposing my ignorance. What is an MSD?
blush.gif

britishcarfreak

Jedi Hopeful
I don't know the proper abbreviation but MSD = multiple spark ignition as far as I know - so I assume multiple spark discharge is the full name.

From what I remember reading years ago it puts out a couple of sparks to the cylinder instead of one. Theory being that a big spark is needed to get the explosion happening and then a less powerful longer duration one to keep the burn going. Supposedly resulting in more power.

Sounds like good stuff.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thank you for indulging me. It does sound as if a multiple spark would result in a more complete burn. It never ceases to amaze me what's being done with electronics that was just theory a few decades ago. Hope your TR8 is coming around for you as I know it will with persistence and determination and maybe a well placed kick.
grin.gif

OP
t-rocks69

t-rocks69

several weel placed kicks on the heavy bay as well as a sting of @#$%$#$##$%#%# and several more ...bought the tach adapter started the car up and runs like a champ i get 3rd gear stratchs when pushing hard and i still haven't adjusted the timing or the fuel pressure gauge let so i think i can get more accelation out of the car to bad i have to leave town wed. for phonex,AZ for most likely 2 to 3 weeks does any one no of a british salvage yard their?? or parts place with good prices??

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have talked to and met some of the members of the Desert Center Triumph Register and would bet some of those folks could steer you where you want to go. Won't post names or e-addresses but I'll bet there's a link from here to their web-site. Believe Phoenix is probably as good as it gets for what you're looking for. Good Luck.
driving.gif