Thread: white tr7 paint

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

white tr7 paint

while i have the engine and transmission out of my '81 tr7 i thought that i would clean up the engine compartment (battery tray). am wondering if my local parts store's supply of auto spray paint would supply a near correct version of white to match the white used for '81 tr7's. i have found bright white, oxford white, snow white, gm white, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: white tr7 paint

Hey Philman, have taken a paint chip into a good auto paint store, where they can match it, and mix the correct paint into a spray can. Price is usually quite reasonable.

Or failing that, just paint some flames on the inside of engine compartment- no one will notice the battery tray area.

Philman,
    Try <williamwolf.com>. They sent me some TR6-correct colour some time back that they matched off the Triumph colour chart. Best colour match I ever got, even from my body man. Pricey. Better to get a pint mixed up and use a spray jar you can get from NAPA. Their pre-loaded spray cans don't go very far. Great for engine compartments, trunks and interiors. Can even get clear coat in the spray.

Bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

A call to Tower Paint (1-800-779-6520) will get you spray cans made up to match your color code.

You don't need the paint manufacturer's code, just the Triumph code will do.

I have used their paints on both cars and the match is perfect for both the Signal Red and TRG. Had to do a large (square foot) area on the TR4 and it polished up beautifully.

I think they can do both enamel and lacquer.

Not cheap, especially the shipping, so I ordered enough to have some on hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, commision plate gives a paint code of "NCF" which on a TR8 website comes up as "pendelican white" and they also give a BLVC code of 215 and unipart code of 6089. My local auto paint supplier can't seem to cross any of this data and wants a paint chip. problem is paint is so good i can't get a chip off anyplace but the battery box which appears slightly discolored, and is where I wanted to paint. There is a tag on the left side near the fender with "GCP 300393" is this a paint code? will try tower paints and wolf paints on monday. [img]graemlins/driving.gif[/img]

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine has a "body" number under the hood near LH fender too, as do most or all of the 7's. Nobody seems to know what it means, but it's not a paint code. Does anyone know what a "pendelican" is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

A group of five pelicans?

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

For paint info, I was able to cross the Triumph Pearl White code at PPG. Took a while, but found a great match.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a penned pelican as opposed to a penciled pelican. Or maybe a freed pelican. [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its the schfunktus that attaches to the pernundl down by the hootendauber thingy. [img]graemlins/devilgrin.gif[/img]

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More seriously, if you call a store that sells Spies Hecker paints, the maker code is 051 and with the paint code off the car, their system will give them a formula to mix your color. any store that wants a chip off your car is tech challenged and greatly suspect.
    MD(mad dog)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my local auto paint supplier say they have it, so does towerpaints.com. thanks for all the help. philman