• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recomendation for rolling restoration

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello all & happy Holidays!

Finally got my TR250 up on jack stands to get a good look at my new acquisition over Christmas. (I paid short enough money for it & it ran well that I didn't lift it to do a chassis inspection when I bought it). Anyway I had spotted some areas of concern during my purchase & of course now have banged & scraped almost every inch of the chassis & sprayed red paint on the areas of concern. Here's the initial prognosis: Front end was quite good with only a little noticable rust 6" back from the rear "A" arm mount. Center of chassis & diff mount were nice and solid (fortunately). The bad news: there are a couple of 6-8" long areas on the bottom frame rails at the rear of the chassis. None of these are too close to any suspension mounting points, so that is good news anyway. So; now my dilema. I don't want to do a frame up, but the car will prob. need a rebuild on the tranny (2nd gear pops out) and the inner fenders are kinda rough. Oil pressure decent with 70-90 cold & 30-50 hot at idle. Entire front end was rebuilt including brakes, electrics are good & interior/floors are good. So: Has anyone lifted the entire body off, sans hood & trunk & exposed the chassis to allow full inspection, repair, rustproofing? Seeing as how the body probably only has 20-25 points where it is bolted to the chassis plus steering & some wiring I would prefer to make sure I have a good solid foundation to drive the car with & work on the exterior body panels as time allows. I owned a 1973 Series Land Rover and altough it had an aluminum body the chassis was so rusted that it became unsafe to drive! The fortunate thing with the Rover was you could purchase a brand new galvanised chassis for about $1800.

Anyway, sorry so long winded, but would like some input from someone who may have gone this route.

wink.gif

[ 12-31-2003: Message edited by: gjh ]</p>

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I agree Mickey, but to tell you the truth I don't have the time/space to do a complete resto. I want to specifically repair & protect the chassis from further rust by sanding/ginding & coating inside & out.

I'm looking for input from someone who has pulled the body shell off in basically one piece.That way I can do that work & some other mechanicals this winter, have it back together for Spring /Summer & think about the body work next Fall/Winter.

[ 12-31-2003: Message edited by: gjh ]</p>

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gary -

Having done a body-off on a TR3 in my garage, and with the help of a great local body shop, I can offer the following:

With separate body and frame, the TR's are very easy to do. The reality is that there just aren't very many of these left, and IMHO it's certainly worthwhile to resurrect them. At any rate, if you're going to any trouble at all with a restoration, if you don't go the extra mile of pulling the body off, you may regret it later.

Since mine was a long-term project, I decided to take it to the nuts and bolts, and I know exactly what's there. Lots of work, but a great sense of accomplishment!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Mickey

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
Gary,
Did you get Roger Williams Triumph TR250/6 Restoration guide? The answers to your questions are covered in detail.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Gary, do you have a lot of friends???Yes the body can be removed as a unit, and infact the factory manuel details the (mostly obvious) disconects. The real nut of the matter is the 6 strong backs(weak minds optional)needed to safely lift the beast to a cradle for safe keeping.My crystal ball says that you will soon be sucked into the black hole of a full blown resto if you pull the body off.
My suggestion is that with most of the mounting bolts out, carefully jack up the body to get the clearances necesary to make repairs.(one end at a time!!)
MD(mad dog)

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just ordered the Williams book this weekend & may be re-considering pulling the body; I don't want to get sucked into a full frame off at this time, could be years before I finish! I want to drive & enjoy the car, not feel the pressure at this time to do a resto. Maybe in 3-4 yrs when my son is 14-15 I can enroll him in a nice Father-Son bonding experience & get him to helpout. After all he did drive 12+ hrs with me to tow the buggy home. He was good company in the car.

He deserves something out of it right!!

Thanks for the input fellas!