• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lord Help ME!?! I only need $55K?

Bret

Yoda
Seems like a great deal to me. Next to the Zagato & the DB4/5's the late 70s Vanquish has to be one of my choices for all time sexy cars!

Click image.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: Lord Help ME!?! Its only need $55K?

hehehehehe....stretch a Maverick a bit & you'll have it for around $500

twhmav.jpg

2145153_2.jpg

Twosheds

Darth Vader

Looks like Aston-Martin was trying to copy the American muscle car look.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

Tony that's just worng! For $500 I could think of about a hundred vehicles before I'd ever get a Maverick. :p

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

hehehehehehe...but look at the similiarities!

& there's probably a kit car builder out there who could make you an A.M. clone!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

I agree, Tony. What do ya think that A.M. would look like with chrome smoothies fitted to that big rubber? Sweeeet!
Cheers, David.

bugimike

Yoda

I never caught the resemblance before, that is amazing, haha! It would be much easier to build a Maverick/AM than a Fiero/Ferrari!!

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

tony barnhill said:
hehehehehehe...but look at the similiarities!
Yes, well some might argue that a mule has four legs, two ears & a tail, but that still don’t make it a thoroughbred. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]& there's probably a kit car builder out there who could make you an A.M. clone! [/QUOTE]If I ever decided to do something like that I sure as heck start with a better platform than the Maverick/Comet. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Copying styling cues is one thing - but for me it’s a simple issue of Pedigree & old world Craftsmanship vs. stamped out people movers for the masses. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

The Aston Martin came first, in DBS form, by three years! So, who copied whom? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Bret, I admire your taste.

swift6

Yoda

Before anyone goes overboard and continues to accuse Aston Martin of copying the lovely Ford Maverick/Mercury Comet with the AM V8's, you might want to look at the Aston Martin DBS instead. Produced from 1967-1972. It predates the Maverick/Comet by three years and to my eye, is the clear basis for the later Aston Martin V8's. (The DBS even had a V8 later in in its production though it began with the I6 from the DB6.)

So I think it was Ford who originally copied AM. Sorry to ruin any fantasies out there. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Eric

Jedi Warrior

Actually, I remember reading that the designer (whose name escapes me at the moment) was inspired by the late 60s Camaros. Since the V8s were essentially leather-lined muscle cars, it seems appropriate.

swift6

Yoda

Steve, looks like you and I were thinking along the same lines. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bret, at least that car is local and you can go drool on it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

swift6

Yoda

Eric said:
Actually, I remember reading that the designer (whose name escapes me at the moment) was inspired by the late 60s Camaros. Since the V8s were essentially leather-lined muscle cars, it seems appropriate.

William Towns designed the DBS, which was launched in 1967 (same year as the Camaro) and the only real changes the design recieved were 'facelifts' pretty much through the 80's. The DBS recieved the Tadek Marek V8 in 1969. So I doubt any design inspiration came from a Camaro. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

swift6 said:
Steve, looks like you and I were thinking along the same lines. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bret, at least that car is local and you can go drool on it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
That's true. I've actually been down there a few times over the years to look at other vehicles.

In fact I almost purchased a triple black 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 383 & a 4-speed, but the deal fell through when I couldn’t get all of my assets together. So because I never did they're pretty much consider me just a “looky-loo” now and probably wouldn't let me in the place anymore. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

WOW!! You guys are hard....I was just joshing....

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

tony barnhill said:
WOW!! You guys are hard....I was just joshing....
Rest easy Tony, we know (least ways I do) that you were just fooling.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

But, on a serious note, when you actually compare styling cues on different cars, there's a lot or resemblance between the various manufacturers! I think Raymond Loey was the last free thinker in that arena.

swift6

Yoda

Knew you were kidding Tony, you did the scooby doo laugh. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Just didn't want someone thinking that AM copied a Ford during that era, especially a Maverick. Add a few decades from those cars and who would have ever guessed that Ford would own Aston Martin.

If Mr. William Towns has left this world (don't know if he is still with us or not?) he would surely be spinning in his grave on that comment. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

bugimike

Yoda

AAAH, you guys are taking it way too seriously!! It's much more FUN to think of it the other way around, hehe! I mean c'mon, Detroit has NEVER lifted others' styling cues, have they???(Corvette:Ferrari, Chrysler:MB, just to name a couple!)

And as for "better platforms", who cares when all you are doing is trying to make people THINK you have one by making it LOOK like one!!! I mean, Lambo Countaches on VW frames are just "costume jewelry" too!

Twosheds

Darth Vader

Bret, I'm confused. Are we supposed to be helping you resist buying this car or encouraging you to buy the car?