• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Michelin Pilot® Sport Exalto A/S for TR 250

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I have to put new tires on the 250 before Spring. I have been told that Pilot Sport A/S in 195/65 HR15 is a good choice for 250's and 6's? I would be mounting these on AR Silverstone Mags. Any direct experience of opinions?
Thanks in advance.

G

Frank, can't go wrong with Michelin. I don't have Pilots but I do have Michelin Hydroedge 205/70R15 on my TR6. Great in any weather, show no noticeable wear after 12,000 miles. My Pirelli P4000 lasted 6000 miles, slid like grease in rain.

The Pilot is a good all around tire that would qualify as a highperformance tire on such a light vehicle as the 250. Look at the Hydroedge. It has a very square shoulder and has an aggressive unidirectional pattern. Fills the wheel well fully and zero rubbing.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Frank,
The diameter of a 195/65 is probably a bit smaller than the stock tires. I'm not sure what size came on the 250. You should verify before buying.
BOBH

duckspuddle

I put the Michelin exaltos on my TR6. I'm pretty sure the size I got is 205/65/15. I wanted a shorter tire and a little more footprint. So far I've got 20,000 miles with no visible tread wear. The tires handle great. Bought 'em at Tire rack.
Duckspuddle

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
bobh said:
Frank,
The diameter of a 195/65 is probably a bit smaller than the stock tires. I'm not sure what size came on the 250. You should verify before buying.
BOBH

I'm running AR Silverstone mags which are 5-inch rims. I have Michelin red lines on now and they are 185/15. Don't know if these rather narrow rims will take a 205. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
duckspuddle said:
I put the Michelin exaltos on my TR6. I'm pretty sure the size I got is 205/65/15. I wanted a shorter tire and a little more footprint. So far I've got 20,000 miles with no visible tread wear. The tires handle great. Bought 'em at Tire rack.
Duckspuddle

Are you running with stock TR-6 wheels? What is the rim width? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tomshobby

Yoda
I replaced a set of Pilots on my Saturn last Monday. Had a lot of strange vibration noise, now it is gone. All four had deep cracks in the outside tread groves on both sides of the tires. Very happy they are gone although they were much better than those worthless Firestone's that were original equipment. I have the Hydroedge tires on another car and have been very happy with them.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I really don't have much of a love affair with anything French...however, I have become a big fan of Michelin tires.

I had a Ford E350 van that I routenely hauled over 3000 lbs in for long distances and I had tire problems with Firestones, Goodyears and BF Goodblimps.

I blew a l/r tire one night on I-80 in Iowa while grossing about 12K...I almost lost it. I put on my spare, delivered my freight to Des Moines and bought four Michelin's at Sam's.

Never blew another tire for the next 80K.

I've had similar experiences with Michelin's on my '95 Peterbilt...I got over 140,000 miles on a set of steer tires...that's about as good as it gets.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
angelfj said:
bobh said:
Frank,
BOBH

I'm running AR Silverstone mags which are 5-inch rims. I have Michelin red lines on now and they are 185/15. Don't know if these rather narrow rims will take a 205. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

This question popped up yesterday in another post. The info I found at this site basically says that rim width should be at least 70% of tire width. That would mean that a 185 tire needs 130mm (5.1") rim. So, you really shouldn't put anything wider then 185 on a 5" rim. For a 205 tire, you need 143mm (5.6"). That means you need at least a 5 1/2" rim for that size tire.

G

I got 110,000 miles on my Michelins on my Tahoe. Still had tread left. Rotated them once. Put the same kind back on.

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
I've had Yokohama Avid 205/70/R15 tires on stock TR250 rims on my TR250 for over five years. They offer great dry-weather traction, are price-competitive, and look good. I don't drive the car in the rain if I can help it, so I can't comment on wet-weather performance. I can say that I have similar Yokohamas on my Mazda (wider and with lower profiles, of course) and the wet weather traction does not come close to the dry. All of my Yokohamas have shown fast treadwear compared to other tires, but I drive hard. I'll be replacing the Triumph's later this year--maybe with Yokohamas, maybe not.

I, too, like Michelin truck tires a lot, but I have not yet found passenger car/performance car tires made by them that impressed me. The OEM Michelins on my '99 VW Passat were so-so in dry conditions but a disaster in the wet. That little tubocharged 4-cylinder could spin the front tires at the slightest provocation. Fun but scary. Their tires do seem to last forever, which has also been my experience with Bridgestones.

Sounds like there's a good case for the Michelins, I just don't have any personal experience with them on Triumphs.

Regards,