Thread: TR-4 Wire Wheels & Tires

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TR-4 Wire Wheels & Tires

Just got new wires from Moss and want to put on new tires too. Where can I find the Moss recommended tire sze: 175/80R15? That don't cost more than the wires. Tried Hendrix, but quit selling this size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Re: TR-4 Wire Wheels & Tires

From some quick web searching, I'm concluding that these tires no longer exist, at least not in the US or UK. Never was a common size to begin with, being found primarily on early 1970s Volvo wagons. The sedans used the more common 165x15, which also is getting less common, at least in any great range of choice, but 165x15 is still easy to find at good prices from places such as Tirerack.com. Anyway, 165x15 is the original size radial tire for a TR4!
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stopped by Tirerack in Indiana and bought the 165/15 Kuhmo radials for $29 each and have been very happy with them. I don't run my 4 hard though so these may not be the best for performance but they sure are great for cruising.

Phil
    Phil
    1964 TR4 CT 36223 L

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yoko sells a GREAT 185 65 r15 Love mine to death!! but must say to check the inside of ANY tire you plan to put a tube into,often a small plastic tag is left inside to kill the tube after the first 500....(dont ask how I know)....
    MD(mad dog)

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kelly also has a tire in the $35 range. If you have new wires consider tubes if the wires are not tubeless.
    Tubes can be expensive at some tire shops and can cost near tire prices. The Goodyear shops here were understanding and gave me a good deal for the tires and tubes + balancing with free road hazard.
    Whoever you buy from needs to understand how to mount the tires without ruining the rim or scratching the paint or chrome off. Wires are tricky to be sure. BTW,
    Firestone will no longer mount a tire with tube on any wheel due to law suits according to the shops in the St. Louis area.
    [img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also run the 165/15 Kuhmo and think it's great. It's not a high performance tire so if you want to go racing look for something wider.
    TR3s, crude, ugly and slow. Women love them!
    59 TR3A
    89 Porsche 944
    99 BMW Z3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dunlop has the SP20 in that size too. Again not good in rain or for performance driving, but you already know that.
    I imagine we have the number of older Volvos and perhaps VW Beetles to thank for the fact that there are still a few choices in this size.
    I have a second set of wire wheels with 72 spokes and a wider rim, mounted with 195/60/15 tyres, and mostly use the correct set for shows.
    Simon