• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just saying hi

mgless

Country flag
Greetings fellow riders. I joined the forum yesterday and introduced myself in the "new member" section. I was told you guys are some friendly folks and thought I'd stop by and say "hi."

I'm actually looking for a Spridget, hence my reason for being here, but I also have a few bikes.

Currently riding a yellow 01 Kawasaki zx-6r that I bought new a few years back. I bought it for the relatively comfortable riding position and added a Corbin seat to help out a bit. Otherwise it's all stock. I'd love a Bonneville as a second bike, but that's a ways away.

I also purchased a 02 Kawasaki ex250 a couple years ago for my wife so that she could join me. She thought it was a heckuva engagement gift!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Ultimately she ended up being pregnant most of the year and hasn't had a single chance to ride it yet! She'll finally be signing up for MSF in the Spring.

Anyway, nice meeting you all!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Howdy Back!
We have an MSF course on many Summer weekends at ~my college~. A nice bunch of folks.
I am an earned AMA Life Member (I don't have to pay the dues anymore /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )
For riding, I have a ~HONDA ASCOT 500 Thumper but I haven't ridden it all that much in the last while....distracted by LBCs and airplane. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome...but, I'll bite: what's an "MSF course"?

Me, I'm getting kicked by my old Norton more times than I kick it - so, I'm looking at newer electric-start Triumphs.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OP
M

mgless

Country flag
MSF courses are great. I recommend them to anyone even thinking about getting a motorcycle. They even provide the bike and gear for the course.

They also offer an advanced class, which is with your own bike. I re-take it every few years right away in the spring to freshen up on my skills.

It's often taught at tech schools, but it's also offered at dealers and elsewhere. (the tech route is usually MUCH cheaper, though)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks! Think I'll check into one.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Tony, it's well worth the investment. I am a police-trained rider and I can endorse these programs. The guys that work as instructors don't do it for the money, that's for sure. A more dedicated bunch you would be hard-pressed to find!

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the forum,

If you like Spridgets take a ride in aeronica65t's race car ride here. I was impressed! scroll down a little ways to find it though.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/232329/page/3#Post232329

MSF is a great concept especially with the way people are driving. I ride my 81 HD Sportster 1000 XLH only once each year now just so I don't completely forget my past life. It's all I can handle mentally after being pushed off the road once, almost creamed three times with real life threatening close calls, and a bunch of minor incidents over the last thirty years. I guess I lost my nerve so it's probably best not to even attempt dodging moving objects heading straight at ya. Anyway, enough of that gloomy M/C attitude...Tony, That's why Harley took the kicker off and went electric start on all Sportster's. Too many guys ending up with flying lessons and broken ankles. He,he,he...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Harry - I can't get over your avatar....ROTFLMAO!!! Jerri even laughed at it!

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I kind-a baby napped (borrowed) him from a friend off a evolution 8 racing forum. I figure he's good for another couple months before he's gonna want out. I have a few others to use but none as much fun to watch.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm currently riding a Suzuki V-Strom 650 (been riding for around 10 years now). I've taken the basic and advanced MSF courses as well. Good to do every so often for some reminders. There's a new Freddie Spencer riding school here in Utah now, and I'ld love to give that a try (though it's a bit out of my budget range).