• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lights Out!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I have been driving my Spitfire to work every day for the past couple of weeks. Yesterday, I had to work late (got out of work about 7:30PM). By the time I got half way home (I live 40 miles out in the country), it happened - my headlights went out! Not sure whay yet (probably a fuse, but have not verified that yet). Anyway, I turned on my hazzard flashers and had to drive home the rest of the way without lights and by this time it was dark!

Guess I forgot to pray to the great god Lucas
crazy.gif

Basil

punk_piper

Basil

if it helps any...i am having some problem right around the fuse bulkhead..the fuses have to be put in half way(if that makes any sense to you) to make the lights works(I had same problem...driving one night and someone turned the darkness on)

....I had to wiggle the wires around coming of of the fuse block to make them work initialy....weird huh?? whatever works I suppose.

So most likey you might have to go chancing some wires down, and check they have good grouds.

G

I hate to tell you this, but I don't think that your headlights are fused! I know they aren't on my TR6 and for good reason. Burning a fuse leaves you with no headlights. Check your grounds then backtrack all the way to the switch. Gotta have a bad wire or something. Dan Masters has a great little book out on TR wiring, can be contacted at danmas@aol.com
Good luck. Lucas ain't that bad.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I had a similar problem. After changing out the lights and tracing wires with no improvement I found that when I pull the lights on rocker switch all the way on the lights didn't come on. But if I pushed it say 95% in then lights work fine. Odd but probably doesn't help you.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I think the B-L hi-lo switch is pretty fragile.....I took mine apart twice to fix/clean the contacts....eventually, I switched to a big, ugly American-made 2-position toggle switch.
There is no fuse to the headlights, but your flip-up nose needs to be grounded...may want to check that.
78Zs comment on the rockers is true for my car too...sometimes I have to "rock" them *just* right...eventually, I'll switch them to big, ugly toggle switches too.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Hi, A ten foot length of old lamp cord, and you will never be wirh out lites again, that is if your bulbs arsnt burned out.

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Don't know if Spit switches are similar to TR7s, but this worked for me with the foglight switch on my 7. I traced the non-working foglights to a bad switch. The contacts were exposed, so I was able to spray them with WD40. After letting it soak for about 5 minutes, I took the air compressor and blew it out real good. This cleaned the contacts up real good, and the foglights then worked.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A lot of lousy contacts in english switches. Switches may make physical contact but electrically there is nobody home. Have gone this route with two heater switches, one rheostat, and one directional switch. For the fellow who put the fuse in half way, that is a way of making the contacts bite just a little tighter, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Once I piggy-backed my fuses for additional contact. Add extra fuses BETWEEN the regular fuses and they push the contacts together. Bob