• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Im New--Tr-7 engine conversion info please...

dubumb

Freshman Member
Hi,
I am looking into doing a v8 conversion to a car that i plan on buying. The car is a Triumph TR-7... Many sites recommend using the Rover sd-1 engine, or buying a kit specially designed for the triumph tr7 conversion... Unfortunatly, these kits are only availible in the U.K and i am located in the states. My question is... i have 2 Ford 302 engines (from early bronco's) sitting around without use, one of them being in one peice. My question is... If i swap out the 4 cylinder that is stock in the triumph tr7 and fit in the 302, will i have to also use the transmission that have been used with the 302, and will this fit OK since it comes from a truck, and not a car? Also, would i have to get a new rear end for the triumph or could the stock one stay in cus i dont think the ford 9" rear end would be the best idea for the triumph
smile.gif
(sorry, im sure this sounds like such a stupid question, but i dont know whether or not you have to exchange the rear end when you change the transmission/engine)

Thanks for bearing with me!
Steve Luttrell

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Steve, this swap can be done if you want it REAL BAD, but if you go with the rover /buick 215 your life will be much easier since the bits can be found vs custom made. you didnt say if it was a conv, but the differences from the coupe make it a better starting point.Brakes will be a serious concern in any case, so start hunting Tr8 calipers&discs.The differential will stand 200hp
(appx ) as long as we are talking conv. the early coupes had problems with their's.
Bottom line , I would try to swap the SBF for the easier to use unit if at all possible.
MD(mad dog)

OP
D

dubumb

Freshman Member
What kinda modifications would i have to do to fit in the 302?... The reasons I wanna do the 302 are that 1.) I have 2 of them... 2.) they are easy to get parts for if i wanna add performance parts, i havent seen and 215 parts in summit racing or jeggs... What about transmission and rear end (since im sure the 302 would deliver more than 200 HP) I have a ford 9" sitting around, but im guessing that would be too wide and i wouldnt want to add any kind of fender flares. what would be the best to use with the triumph....

it is a convertible.

thanks!

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: dubumb ]</p>

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Going with a SBF will be breaking new ground for the TR7 as far as I have heard of, so there will be a lot of things you will have to work out for yourself. This could be a can of worms, I dont know. I did hear of a SBC going into one several years ago,with bad results. Even a 3.8V6 (nearly a boltup deal for the 7) is not that bad an idea since the brakes& sus can handle the additional loads fairly well.
Do some looking around first, some body will want your SBF and have a line on a buick v6 or v8
just take it slowly.
MD(mad dog)

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check out https://britishv8.org/swaps/ for lots of info on LBC engine swaps. For Performance parts look for any place that sells parts for Land Rovers (Which still use the engine) or for vintage Buicks. Jegs, Summit and other usual speed suppliers should have some parts, they won't be as plentiful as the Ford/Chevy/Mopar ones but they are available. Also see Power British Performance Parts https://www.pond.com/~britcars/ ,TS Imported Automotive https://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/ ,Rover V8 Co. https://www.rover-v8.co.uk/index1.htm , and lots of others on the web - just search for Rover V8

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dubumb:

What do you mean by tge last of the camaros?

thanks everyoen for all the info!
<hr></blockquote>

The 1996 to 2002 base Camaros used a 200hp version of the Buick V6. Previous to that they had the 60 degree Chevy V6. They can probably be bought fairly cheaply as most people want the V8 engines.

OP
D

dubumb

Freshman Member
Ok, thanks for all of the info... I appreciate it...

One more thing, It was mentioned earlier that the max HP delivered to the rear end should go past 200... If the camaro is 200hp stock, and i added performance parts.. It would exceed 200 im sure. So what would be a good replacment rear end IF I WOULD NEED IT?

Thanks so much, i appreciate how fast everyone is answering my questions
smile.gif

OP
D

dubumb

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 78Z:
A 3.8L V6 / 5 speed from that last of the Camaros makes 200hp stock and would be a perfect donor if you could find one in the junkyard.
<hr></blockquote>

What do you mean by tge last of the camaros?

thanks everyoen for all the info!

Gary Pope

Jedi Trainee
P.A.W. have some performance intakes and carbs for the 215.
Ultimately, the 302 would be a nice swap, plenty of cheap parts and performance parts galore.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
check out members rides.There is cortina with the 302.Can you fit it? Yes.I have a 351 W in the lister.It started life as an Alpine.The 289 is rather tight in the tiger but the 351 is a whole lot tighter.The deck hieght is 2.25 inches higher and that means it is even wider than the 289.Ford rear ends can be narrowed.Driveshafts can be shortened and mated if neccessary.Although the 351 is only 270 HP,I do have 330 pounds of torque up to and around the 3400RPM mark.This engine was run 12 times on the dyno when setting it up.That is plenty to launch it any time I want.Mind you now I only smile if someone bugs me.That bugs them more than beating them.
canpatriot.gif
cool.gif
See I'm smiling.

[ 02-13-2003: Message edited by: thegoodbeamer ]</p>

OP
D

dubumb

Freshman Member
Thanks a lot for all of the info
smile.gif

Someone has told me that the 302 weighs 407lbs WITHOUT oil... So i would need to do major suspention work and brake work im assuming! What should i be looking to do with the suspension and brake upgrades? where can i find there upgrades to buy?

ALSO... you sed the ford 9" can be shortened, so this would work well with the triumph?

Thanks again for all of this info!

OP
D

dubumb

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Pope:

Ultimately, the 302 would be a nice swap, plenty of cheap parts and performance parts galore.
<hr></blockquote>

Do you think it would fit, though?

tr7nut

Freshman Member
Hello Steve,
They dont call me Tr7 nut for nothing! We run an early TR7 with a Buick 4.1 engine. It is bored, balanced and cammed with a set of side draft webers, a GM trubo 350 overdirve transmission, a TR8 rear axle with 3.08 rear gears. Johns cars sells the kit to do the change but he is way over priced. I made up all the pieces myself, this time I used sanderson street rod headers. Rimmer Brothers sell the TR8 conversion kit for them. They are out of England and ship mail order. I am also doing a TR7 Sprint engine conversion right now. These are just some options that are available. Contact me if you need help. The problem with using a camaro 5 speed and that much horsepower is that you tend to tear the rear end mounting pads loose from the body. Expensive to repair, I know several people who have did this. Curry Ent. will shorten up a Ford rearend for your application. Bob