• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Convertible Top Replacement

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Cheers all. I'm about to install my new canvas top on the six tomorrow and wanted to get your input on the sequence. Rivet to deck angle, then the sides, then the header bow? The PO didn't glue the top to the underside of the header rail; is that necessary?

Thanks!
confused.gif

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Can't help you with the top install, but am very interested, as I will no doubt be needing to do this very thing on my 7 in the not too distant future. I had decided to have a top installed by professionals, but they do charge for it of course and it does look like something a do it yourselfer could handle. I'm sure someone with first hand will jump in here and give us the straight skinny. Will be watching, keep us informed of your progress.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
From hard experience, start with a first quality top, If you get the bargain top(or allready have it)seek professional help, and be prepared for poor results. The cheaper the top the worse it will fit& look.
Once you have a first rate top your life will be much simpler, it will go on easily.Start at the backand mount it to the body as before, then work your way to the front.Replace any padding that is falling off the bows(it prevents chaffing)
I like to use seatbelt matterial for the top webs, it is stronger than heck, and lasts forever.
Use a small nail & lighter to snell the screw holes into the material. I have found 3M weatherstrip adhesive(black) to be the hot trick for doing the front bow.Use it as a contact adhesive(a little on both surfaces partialy dried)
Get the canvas fairly tight,and then set the bows onto the windshield & latch it down. This glue is messy but forgiving, Goo gone will get it off of places you didnt intend to have it.Strech the top as much as you can, then finish up the gluing around the front bow. lastly poprivet the strip that holds the weather seal to the top.
The tr7 top is even simpler, but it is best to have 2 people for the job in either case
Good luck!!
MD(mad dog)

OP
Rick O.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the help. I got the rear on the deck angle using stainless screws with lock nuts instead of rivets. The webbing was in fine shape so I simply riveted it back to the bows. I've got the top glued to the header bow and will wait for it to set awhile before riveting the channels back. Since I'm dealing with canvas, I may have to reposition it (it's hard to latch it down to see the fit right now). Looks great so far!