• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

&^%#$% Fule Pump!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Drat! (sorry for the stong language). I was going to try to see where my Spit was leaking oil today, but before I could get it warmed up, I discovered my fuel pump is leaking like a sive! I have an after market electric pump and its one of those el-cheapo's you buy for $20 at Auto Zone! I don't mean the hose connections were leaking, I mean the actual body of the fuel pump. Anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement pump? (I do NOT want to go back to the original type mechanical pump).

Cheers,
Basil
sad.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I've always had good luck with Bendix (now Facit) "Blue Tops". They also have a similar "Red Top" fuel pump that should work. You'll probably need a pressure regulator if you don't already have one. If I recall correctly, you have Webers on your car - pressure for these should be 1.5 to 2 psi.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by coldplugs:
I've always had good luck with Bendix (now Facit) "Blue Tops". They also have a similar "Red Top" fuel pump that should work. You'll probably need a pressure regulator if you don't already have one. If I recall correctly, you have Webers on your car - pressure for these should be 1.5 to 2 psi.<hr></blockquote>

Who carrys these? (Yeah, I have a regulator - usually set to 3psi)

Basil

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks, I checked them out. Looks like they have a fair selection. The little square Facet (Bendix) unit is similar to the one I have now.
Cheers,
Basil

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Basil, why don't you use a good old fashion SU pump. It is a British car isn't it?
smile.gif
smile.gif

Well you can get a very reliable adjustable pump from Holley. That's what alot of the street boys are using.
Dave C.
cheers.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
I have a Carter super pump in the Lotus.. It's a rotary style pump and they are dead reliable.. They make the regular and HP pump.. the regular one will do you..with a holley regulator. I also plumbed in a pressure guage, so I know exactly what my pressure is. ( just over 1 psi.. these things flow tons of volume so you can keep up with the carbs no problem at low pressure..)

They are a bit big and definately more noisy, but you will never have fuel delivery problems again.

Don't forget to put an oil pressure cut off switch in the line.. You can stop a lot of fires that way..

[ 12-02-2002: Message edited by: TypeRboy ]</p>

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TypeRboy:

Don't forget to put an oil pressure cut off switch in the line.. You can stop a lot of fires that way..

[ 12-02-2002: Message edited by: TypeRboy ]
<hr></blockquote>

Splain how that works? When you start the engine, how do the carbs get gas when there is no oil pressure?

Basil

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Read about half way down on this page to understand fuel shut-off switches:

https://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechServ/TechInfo/FMFPTech.html

I’m using a Facet solid state fuel pump….very noisy, but very popular with racers due to reliability. I set my regulator at 2.5 psi for racing/street use. Got mine (and many $$$$ of other stuff) at the following place:

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

go to β€œcomplete index” and look for β€œfuel pump”
Facet Solid State Pump
FEP42S 1.5 to 4.5 psi - 1/8" fpt fitting - 15 gpm $45.99

Also: Since some of you may not have seen my fuel regulator recall note, I’m pasting it in below:

Many of you have re-fitted your LBCs with aftermarket electric fuel pumps, and usually a fuel pressure regulator. If you have a "Purolator" or "NAPA" fuel pressure regulator, you may want to read the notice below. My race parts supplier (RacerPartsWholesale) send me a note about this last week....two of my cars have these regulators, and one of the devices was built during the affected interval, and will need to be sent back.
Number of Units Affected: 32518
Defect Summary:
PUROLATOR PRO~FUEL AND NAPA BRAND IN-LINE FUEL REGULATORS SHIPPED BY ARVINMERITOR FROM NOVEMBER 1, 2001, THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2002. THE ELASTOMER USED FOR A DIAPHRAGM IN THE SUSPECT REGULATOR IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH AUTOMOTIVE FUELS.
Consequence Summary:
PROLONGED EXPOSURE CAN RESULT IN THE DEGRADATION AND WEAKENING OF THE REGULATOR DIAPHRAGM. AS A RESULT, THE DIAPHRAGM MAY LEAK FUEL, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE FIRE.
Corrective Summary:
ARVINMERITOR WILL NOTIFY ITS CUSTOMERS AND REPLACE THE SUSPECT FUEL REGULATORS. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT ARVINMERITOR LVA CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 800-637-0580.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02E056000.