• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Great racing & driver photos

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Wow!
The pictures of Penske, Maston Gregory, Hap Sharp, Bob Grossman (an EMRA member) Denise McLuggage, John Fitch, etc are all excellent.
Interesting to read about the BARC boys too...some of their story sounds like me and my friends (but we rarely recorded anything with pictures).
A nice addition to your site, Tam's and the Watkins Glen (glenphotos.com) site.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great site!

Oddly, I was just thinking about how different it is today that we get to see F1 live on TV... "back in the day" the only way we had of knowing the "Who, what, where, when" of racing was usually an Autoweek subscription.

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
...Geez, maybe I should start a site for all these old photos I took.....What do I do with them all??
See attachment of R.P. at Laguna in '64. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Attachments

• 294465-penske\'64.jpg
    294465-penske\'64.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 100
OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Geez, maybe I should start a site for all these old photos I took.....What do I do with them all??...

[/ QUOTE ]

I encourage you to start a site, or put them up on PhotoBucket or a similar service. If you don't want to go to all the trouble (maintenance can be time consuming) then I'm sure Tam McPartland would be interested in posting some.

Tam concentrates mostly on west coast racing, Nial mentioned one for the Glen, Nick England runs the VIR History Site and I concentrate on New England racing. There are others that I don't have handy. I believe Nick solicits pictures from others, as do Tam and I. Tam covers west coast vintage racing as well as "in period". I only cover pre-1966 with very little vintage coverage.

I wouldn't be concerned about overlap with existing sites - there's no competition here. It can be rewarding and instructive. My site has been written up several times in national mags, I've been contacted by some very well known racing folk and also by old friends, new friends , and hundreds of enthusiasts, just by posting a bunch of old photos - many mediocre in my case. Tam's site is far bigger and he's had the same experience and has become an info clearing house for people interested in sporty car racing history out west.

The "shoebox collections" are a common theme these days. Thousands of people have old racing photos languishing in closets these days and it'd be great to see a few more of them on the net.

From your sample, I'd say you ought to consider it!

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
..You know, I just might, I have been sending some to Tam, I hope he posts them.
I do have a lot of photos come to think of it, funny I just never thought of the interest. The summer of '65 I spent the in the UK and went to Oulton Park, Brands Hatch and the GP at Silverstone and have great photos from those events, plus all my Cal stuff and historics going back to '76. Love you your site, great stuff. Attached is one of my fav's from the British GP in 65....hard to belive this was Clarks car in the Team Lotus paddock!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Thanks for the encouragement!

Attachments

• 294941-Clark\'s,\'65.jpg
    294941-Clark\'s,\'65.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 126

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's a great shot! Just guessing it was a bit wet that day, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
Re: Great racing & driver photos

I'll have to go over to my fathers place and get some of the pictures he and i took while he was racing in the early 60's........I've pictures of me sitting in Jim Clark's Lotus at Mosport with Colin Chapman, one with Jimmy ,who let me in in the first place when i was 8 or nine ....Their cars were right beside my fathers Formula Vee and Porsche in the pits............You don't see that anymore......All the cars and drivers mixed.......pictures of Bruce Mclaren taking me for a ride down pit lane at St Jovite in an early Mclaren among many others......Jim Hall, Pedro Rodriquez, Gurney, Moss, Donohue,Penske lots of others ........But most are in slide format, although the older ones are actual photos.........so i should start scanning them, just to preserve them even for myself

Twosheds

Darth Vader

Dave Williams has a great collection of Cumberland Airport SCCA National photos at: https://www.nationalroadrally.com/

Lots of racing history there.

tiga2

Jedi Trainee

Thanks again, I have started putting them on Photobucket, more later.

MGAdams

rovernut said:
I'll have to go over to my fathers place and get some of the pictures he and i took while he was racing in the early 60's........I've pictures of me sitting in Jim Clark's Lotus at Mosport with Colin Chapman, one with Jimmy ,who let me in in the first place when i was 8 or nine ....Their cars were right beside my fathers Formula Vee and Porsche in the pits............You don't see that anymore......All the cars and drivers mixed.......pictures of Bruce Mclaren taking me for a ride down pit lane at St Jovite in an early Mclaren among many others......Jim Hall, Pedro Rodriquez, Gurney, Moss, Donohue,Penske lots of others ........But most are in slide format, although the older ones are actual photos.........so i should start scanning them, just to preserve them even for myself
Please do ... record the photos, slides, programs, results, drivers lists, or whatever you have about Canadian motorsports. There are motorsport historians and enthusiasts searching for this information all around the world. There are not that many good records of Canadian tracks and drivers and sometimes an obscure photo can reveal a lot of info. The Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame (Archives) and the Canadian Motorsport History Group are two such locations that would be happy to see and share what you might have.
The message we hope to get out to all those folks like your father that have an old box of stuff is "do your family a favour and pass this stuff on to someone to record, before you pass on and it ends up in a bin"
Case in point ... a picture at Mosport of Graham Hill's Lotus ... my MGB is to the left.
eb38460e.jpg

Mike Adams

D

Deleted member 3577

rovernut said:
I should start scanning them, just to preserve them even for myself
Oh-Yes!......And post them here!

And if you have any 60-61 pics of Donohue....

Well I know a guy who would be VERY interested.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

It is a real treat to read the race reports from the early 60's, brings back memories of seeing some of them race, wondering various pits. Names of drivers whose careers I followed in R&T and SCI and wanted to be like. And especially memories of driving a LBC around Missouri highways at night, too fast and too drunk and didn't care about either. Youth's expectation of immortality is a wonderful delusion.

jagracin

Freshman Member

I raced my E-type @ sebring the first of Dec and was paddocked next to Philippe Reynes. He had a Picture of his lightweight E-type at the very start in 1963. What a shot. Ron

Jagracin

I have picture of our cars in the paddock, if I can figure how to post them

tiga2

Jedi Trainee

...Check out these, I took them in '65 one at Brands Hatch and the other at Oulton Park,

Attachments

• 3926-L.W.EtypeO.P..jpg
    3926-L.W.EtypeO.P..jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 3927-L.W.EtypeBH.jpg
    3927-L.W.EtypeBH.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 32

tiga2

Jedi Trainee

....Thats the 1st time I have displayed an iamge, but I dont know how I did it!! Still dont get this stuff.