• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I will soon have a 350i in the US

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Well, not to beat a dead horse but I recently blew the motor in my 280i, cracked the head and it is unrepairable. I have decided that rather than rebuild the Ford V6 with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gifwonderful (not) Mechanical Injection K Jetronic system I have decided to put a Rover V-8 in it as they did in the mother country. Marshall, as we discussed I'll try and document the conversion for the TVR times but I'll also do it in pieces here. ANyone who has ideas or suggestions, bring them on!

To start, I have acquired a 1988 Rover 3500 Engine. It has the 88 Flapper style FI but is missing a few components. I have also acquired a complete 89 Rover Hotwire Injection system that should provide a little more performance, so that will be what I use. The engine is fairly low miles but has sat for awhile so a trip to the machine shop will be in order for a complete dismantling, reringing, new bearings and whatever else will be needed. I will also balance the reciprocating assembly and install a lightened flywheel.

Transmission is a little more difficult. I originally thought of a Rover LT77 box as was installed in the UK. Those are fairly hard come by here as most Land Rovers have automatics so I sought an alternative. THe alternative found is maid by D & D Fabrications of Almont MI. They can be reached at D & D . They are supplying the lightened flywheel, clutch, custom bellhousing set up to work with a T-5 5 speed (GM V-8 variety) a mount and a boat load of tech info. Best of all, they supply a hydraulic throwout bearing that eliminates the need for a clutch slave cylinder. The only mods are to cut 3/1000's off the end of the crankshaft, get the driveshaft mated and lenthened/shotened, connect the exhaust and make a transmission crossmember for which the stock unit may work with some modification.

Other than that the only other issues will be wiring in connections and getting the speedoi and tach to operate.

The parts are all on the way to me and the motor will go to the machine shop next week. I will start putting it all together by the time I get the motor back in about 3 weeks. Budget is $3500-4000, which I think I can achieve.

Appreciate anyones comments and feedback as this might spark some interest in the new Forum Basil has graced us with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Attachments

• 291318-britemp1thumb.JPG
    291318-britemp1thumb.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 357

swift6

Yoda
I could be wrong but I thought that the five speed used in TR7/8's was also the LT77. Was also used in the Rover P6B and SD1 both of which, along with the TR8, used the same V8.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong but I thought that the five speed used in TR7/8's was also the LT77. Was also used in the Rover P6B and SD1 both of which, along with the TR8, used the same V8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn,

You may be correct but I could not locate one. Additionally, try finding one that isn't already grenaded was problematic so I think the modern alternative of a T-5 will be preferable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

G

There is a guy from CO posted on the rover forum who has a bunch of rover spares. His id is motorbill66. You might want to see if he has one. Just a thought.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
There is a guy from CO posted on the rover forum who has a bunch of rover spares. His id is motorbill66. You might want to see if he has one. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late, have the T5 and the kit on the way. I'll update with some pics when everything has arrived.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
I received the Transmission parts from D & D yesterday. The Bellhousing is very nice and compact. Lightened Flywheel, clutch and other parts are also very nice. I will post pics this weekend

G

The 81 tr7 trans. is better than other years. Better 4th and 5th ratios. Also by 81 they were putting the right fluid in them from the factory. Used ones are less likely to be trash Tr7 trans. are easy to find the v8 bell housing is hard to locate.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
T-5 has arrived as have the components from D & D. Everything looks very well put together from D & D. Engine went today to Wayne Calvert Precision Motors, of some NASCAR repute so I am expecting a nice streetable motor when it is finished. They will also Dyno it and dial in the FI. It certainly ought to make Wedgie more fun to drive. More updates in a week or two.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Marshall, I was going to do this later but after the V6 blew there is no time like the present. In about 3 weeks I'll have the engine back and the trans resealed and reshimmed and the car ready for the install. I am keeping good notes and will write it up with pics for the TVR Times. I'll keep you informed.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Several weeks have gone by now and I thought I'd update on the Rover Conversion. All parts are accounted for and the motor is still being rebuilt. By the mid march I should have it back and ready to install. The T-5 looks like an easy mount with only a slight Trans Mount. I have attached a pic of the engine out. Really not too tough of a job as I did it solo, my friends weren't allowed to come play that day.

Attachments

• 4434-engineoutsm.JPG
    4434-engineoutsm.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 79

Sparkie

Russ,

Long time since an update. How is it going?

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Sorry, gents been away awhile for a variety of reasons but here is the latest on my Rover swap. I can honestly say I hope never to have to go through this swap again for a variety of reasons, some having to do with the car's design and some with the sense of urgency from my engine shop. Anyway here goes:

Despite what our pals across the pond told me it became quite obvious after the motor was out that some chassis tubes would need to be redone to facilitate the motor mount brackets. This is being done in early July at a race fabbers shop. Welding round tubes is a job left to experts so even though I have a pretty stout mig setup, I didn't think I was up to the task so out it goes.

My engine shop here is very well known for building Nascar motors and is very busy. There 3 month promise has turned into six months but at tleast it is now done. .010 overbore, everything else was good and we added a little cam. It goes on the Dyno next week and we are expecting about 225 HP. The once the fabber is done, then it off to the exhaust shop, the driveshaft shop, then back for wiring and I should be back on the road, maybe late August?

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Good news Russ, I know you'll be glad when it's finished.
How about a full report and photos for the TVR Times when it's done?

Marshall

Sparkie

Thanks for the update Russ. I'm rooting for you! I decided to take the path of less resistance and swap in a 4.0L V6. I picked up complete '99 and '00 4.0L engines last week (each with it's own issue, head gasket and rod knock) - or should I say I stole them both for $80. We'll see how good the deal is if I come out with a good set of heads and crank.

Anyone out there have a real (alloy rather than plastic) intake??

Keep up the good work!

Maybe these will help to inspire - from Van Duzen last month:

P1010898.jpg

P1010897.jpg

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
mrtvr said:
Good news Russ, I know you'll be glad when it's finished.
How about a full report and photos for the TVR Times when it's done?

Marshall

Yup, planning on it Marshall, with unforseen issues and all. Maybe in time for the Winter edition. Sparkie, alloy plenums are often on ebay at reasonable costs although not quite as reasonable as you got the motor for. Before you make your changes, really look at the transmission setup. I resolved mine with the D&D kit with a T5 from a V8 Camaro but those are getting scarce.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Thought I'd update everyone on the progress of my Rover conversion. The engine is finally complete! This Saturday, 6-30 it goes on the Dyno. We are expecting about 225 HP but with stock reliability. After the dyno run, I have an appointment with the fabricator and the new tubes will be welded in and the engine mounted along with the driveshaft and exhaust. Estimated time to completion is 2-3 weeks. Then I will just have to wire it up and I am back on the road.

And Marshall, if all goes well I'll have the article for you with pics in early September.

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Just an update in case anyone is interested. The Engine is in the car. I needed the help of a local fabrication shop because the fellows from across the pond were wrong, this was anything but a bolt-in swap. Unless you take the body off and do major frame mods, this is almost impossible. Luckily, almost impossible means that it is just doable. On the flipside that means it will cost more.

Anyway to make a long story short, it will be done at the fab shop by 8-15 and then it is just wire it up and Go play! I will have a pretty detailed article on it in the TVR Times but I will definitely not recommend anyone else doing it unless they are willing to shell out some serious $ or they have some serious fabrication skills!

Sparkie

Sorry to hear of your difficulties Russ. All the pain should go away when you first put your foot into her!

Please don't take this the wrong way; this helps reinforce my thinking on the 4.0L V6 swap. I keep going back and forth, for I really like that V8 power and sound too - guess I'll have to get that fix in the TR8.

Glad you're making progress. Keep your chin up!