• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lots of Questions!

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
But I'll try not to ask them all at once!
1. What is the max HP one can expect from a still somewhat streetable and naturally asperated 2.5l TR6 engine?
2. Does anyone make performance parts for my 2500M? Like springs/shocks, sway bars, headers, exhaust, brakes, and anything else they might need?
3. Where can I buy the mouldings that go around the windshield and rear window?
4. Where can I buy window crank handles?
5. Where can I buy bumpers? How about chrome bumpers?
6. Does anyone offer a full wiring harness for this car?
I guess that's enough for now. Did I say how much I love this car? I might even sell my mustang some day if I can find a Griffith.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Jim

This month's Classic Motorsports has a TR-6 Tuning guide... lots of nice hop-up suggestions in there.

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]
This month's Classic Motorsports

[/ QUOTE ]
Speaking of them....

I saw an add for some place called Classic Motor Works.

www.cmw-tvr.com (540)400-8310

I have never heard of them before.

(BTW.....I think you can get 150 outta yer Rumph-lump if you lock yourself in the garage until spring)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Not to pat a vendor on the head, but, I have known Marshall Moore for many years, and can assure you he is both OK, and a serious TVR guy.Ask him questions, and you will get answers that are based on fact. Well worth the phone call.

G

You can get more than 150hp out of a TR6 lump on carbs and still have it tractable for the street. It's just a question of money!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh.

One more reason to endorse BCF as the real place to aim the enthusiasts with less "time in service."

Marshall, I'll be sendin' ya a PM.

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]
You can get more than 150hp out of a TR6 lump on carbs and still have it tractable for the street. It's just a question of money!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep.....I have heard that merely shaving the head, shortening the lift rods & getting a mild cam will give you 150.

But w/ a new cam.....You need new followers (& cam bearings?)
And with more lift, you should probably get new (possibly stronger) springs.

Then you might be inclined to match port and clean up the head.

Then maybe some ARP head bolts.

Then maybe modify your carb shafts.

OK.....So since you have the bottom end apart, why not wedge the crank, get some Carrillos, JE pistons & an aluminum flywheel etc etc.......

Yep......You will probably be over 150 by the time yer done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome to the the nut house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Then people will stop riding w/ you because they are frightened.
And you won't be interested in anything other than talking cars, so people will avoid you.
And you'll hang out here while the paint falls off your house & your cat runs away.

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Then people will stop riding w/ you because they are frightened.
And you won't be interested in anything other than talking cars, so people will avoid you.
And you'll hang out here while the paint falls off your house & your cat runs away.

[/ QUOTE ]

So things won't change much? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The hard part is going to be getting the power I want without being tempted to do an engine swap. There seems to be easier ways of making power than sticking with the Triumph engine, but none of them will sound like it.

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
There seems to be easier ways of making power than sticking with the Triumph engine, but none of them will sound like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The TVR is lighter than and has much better suspension than a TR6. So even a 150hp engine in a 2500M can make it a WHOLE lot of fun. And your absolutely right, nothing else will sound like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unfortunately the Classic Motorsports TR6 article is rather shallow. They mentioned a performance exhaust in the introduction, but apparently did not install one. Also there was no mention of new pushrods which I would expect to be needed with .150 shaved from the head.
Several months ago they ran an article on a TVR 2500 where the owner claimed to have a "special head" (factory installed!) that pumped the TR6 engine up to 190 HP. I've been looking for that head all my life. So far nothing. I mentioned the TVR article to one of the CMS guys at The Mitty last spring. He said it was written by someone who was not one of their regular writers.
The TR6 article has some good general information, but seemed more like a forum to put in a plug for a shop and some parts suppliers.

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately the Classic Motorsports TR6 article is rather shallow.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Sort of disappointing... The new Webers weren't even really that impressive.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

aztvr

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Where can I buy bumpers? How about chrome bumpers?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you really want chrome bumpers, and if you can't find them from the usual vendors, there is another way, but it would be a hassle. The bumpers are the exact same shape as the ends of a Triumph 2000 Mk2 front bumper with the middle cut out. The mounting points on the back are the same also, so, I assume that this is what TVR made theirs from. I don't know if a TR 2000 Mk1 front bumper would work, since it had overriders. I don't know if the overriders are simply bolted over the bumper. You can occasionally find a front bumper on eBay.co.uk . There happens to be a TR 2000 Mk2 bumper listed right now. You would have to get one from someone that would cut it up and send you the two ends. Then you would have to cut it correctly, weld end caps on, and then get them chromed. Probably more than most people would want to go through. You'd need two TR 2000 front bumpers to make 4 TVR 2500 bumpers from. It's much easier to buy the repro rubber bumpers from Marshall !
-- Jim

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Would a later model Triumph 2000 front bumper work? It has holes for a rubber strip that I would have to weld up, but looks otherwise the same as the earlier ones. Am I right?

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
I am looking into the possibility of having some chrome bumpers for the early M-series cars reproduced, but I have to have a decent set to use as templates. I won't know until I get into it how cost-effective it will be to do this. You can purchase a stainless steel set of bumpers in the UK for aboaut $2,400 US.

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Marshall, although it's not worth that much to me. If I can make or buy a set reasonably I'll do it, otherwise I'll use rubber bumpers. I'm pretty good at metal fab and have contacts where I can get them plated for a very reasonable price, so if I can make my own, I think that would be the way to go. That said, if I don't do anything in the meantime, I'd consider buying them from you, but it would depend on the price obviously.
Also, don't forget to let me know when you get those window cranks in. I want to order some other stuff too, but am waiting until those come in to get it all at once.
BTW, let me know if you need any design work done on these. I could easily model these up and provide drawings for you.
I take it they aren't the same dimensions as the rubber bumpers?

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
The shipment containing the window cranks is due here just any day. I'll drop you a line when it arrives and we'll go from there.