• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Parking Light/Tail Light Problem

conehead53

Freshman Member
I recently removed and refinished the wood instrument panel on my 76 TR6. Upon re-installation I was discouraged to find my parking lights and tail lights do not work as before. I am sure I reconnected every wire I removed. I have brake lights, turn signals, back-up lights and hazard lights---but not front parking lights or tail lights. Any idea what I may have done wrong?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
You may well have connected every wire as before, but with old British wiring (even not so old) connections can get very flakey. I would first check the connection for continuity from the switch to the lights. It is most likely that the connection at the switch is at fault. I'd make sure the connector at that point is well connected to the wire and that both the connector and the switch are clean. Should be fairly easy to find. Slight possibility the problem could be elsewhere, but I start by ensuring that the connection at the switch is sound and clean.

Basil

OP
C

conehead53

Freshman Member
Basil, Thanks for the information. After looking for over a year, I purchased my 76 TR6 several months ago, Although it was 80% restored, my TR6 still has things to work on, which I find very enjoyable. However, I am a real beginner and I am always looking for advice. I belong to a British car club that meets monthly, and up until now that has been my main source of information. Thanks again.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Originally posted by conehead53:
Basil, Thanks for the information. After looking for over a year, I purchased my 76 TR6 several months ago, Although it was 80% restored, my TR6 still has things to work on, which I find very enjoyable. However, I am a real beginner and I am always looking for advice. I belong to a British car club that meets monthly, and up until now that has been my main source of information. Thanks again.

Cool. Electrical on old British Cars are a common source of frustration. Just be sure when you put electrical connections back, to clean them as good as you can (you can buy connection cleaner at radio shack).

philkile

Freshman Member
Originally posted by Basil:
Cool. Electrical on old British Cars are a common source of frustration. Just be sure when you put electrical connections back, to clean them as good as you can (you can buy connection cleaner at radio shack).

The best thing I've found for this is TarnX(you know, that snake oil you see advertized on TV). Amazingly, it's actually one the few things hawked that way that really works as advertized. All you need do is immerse the entire connector body (time varies depending on how green and cruddy the connections are), rinse with clean water and blow dry with compressed air. I've done many connections this way and to date have not had any subsequent repeat failures.

Phil

OP
C

conehead53

Freshman Member
Thanks for the information. It was simply a bad connection and cleaning must have dont the trick. All is well and working now.