• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new to this forum, new to British Cars

M

Mike_Bouse

Hi! I'm a LBC newbie, but not new to sports car restoration. I own not only a '69 Triumph Spit 6, my current project; but, I also own two Fiat Spiders.

Just got started on this Spit 6, and boy does it need a lot of work. I am the first to drive it in 10 years, so you can well imagine what all it needs. I'll be looking for lots of help and some spare parts.

Anyone care to pitch in?

Mike Bouse
Coldwater, Michigan

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
'69 Triumph Spit 6

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome - do you mean you hae a Spitfire with a GT6 engine?

swift6

Yoda
Welcome Mike! There have been a few folks inquiring about Spit6's on the Triumph Forum. I'm sure you'll fit right in. (Tony, yes a Spit6 is Spitfire with a GT6 engine/trans. Commonly using a GT6 bonnet for proper clearance. Creating a GT6 Roadster essentially.)

Spent an evening in Coldwater Michigan once. Had a few drinks at one of the local 'Biker' bars. Can't remember the name for some reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Tony, yes a Spit6 is Spitfire with a GT6 engine/trans. Commonly using a GT6 bonnet for proper clearance. Creating a GT6 Roadster essentially.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I shouldn't ask the question here; but, how does the Spit rear handle the GT6 power - I know they changed the GT6 rear end spring mounting.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Sorry about that, i goofed in my signature. Got that corrected now. Spiders!! Top down all the way. I am convertible crazy.

Glad to find an INTERACTIVE Brit car forum. Looks like January will see me fully into the restoration of this Spitfire with a GT6 engine. I am gonna need lots of help and advice. Any one volunteering to stop by to give some face-to-face advice will be welcomed warmly.

Where does one post pictures? https://webpages.charter.net/mbouse/triumph/
is where you can look for FrankenStein. So named because I've literally resurrected him from death. Car had not been run in 10 years before I bought it.

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tony, yes a Spit6 is Spitfire with a GT6 engine/trans. Commonly using a GT6 bonnet for proper clearance. Creating a GT6 Roadster essentially.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I shouldn't ask the question here; but, how does the Spit rear handle the GT6 power - I know they changed the GT6 rear end spring mounting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the more thorough conversions include beefing up the rear suspension. Wise to do on any Spitfire to be driven in anger really. Haven't done it myself though and I haven't looked that closely at the modifications done to some. Haven't bothered since I already have a wicked quick TR6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some want to go whole hog and go all the way to the TR6 engine in a Spit6. Personally, in a car that light I would prefer the RPM capability of the 2.0L to the extra torque of the 2.5L. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif