• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumph Assembly Plants

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Does anyone know if the history of Triumph's assembly plants? Where were our TR's and Spitfires built? I know they had a plant in Coventry but was everything built there (TR2 - TR8)? Do any of these places still exist or have they all been torn down?

Its great what trivia the mind comes up with at 1:45 AM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks.

Matt

G

First off, why aren't you in bed, and second, what am I doing up at this hour?

Anyway, fascinating topic! Apparently there is a difference between plants that assemble and plants that put together knocked-down cars (cars that are essentially built, taken apart, and rebuilt elsewhere - like all over the world).

It's a wonder that we have these wonderful cars to rebuild and love, what with the tumultuous times the companies went through.
Try: www.austin-rover.co.uk/oldwivesf.htm to give a little insight into British car history. One of so many sites that will interest forum members with insomnia.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I have been a member of the TR Register in England for almost 20 years. During a business trip in 1984, I drove by and stopped at the site where most of our cars were assembled. This was in Canley, outside Coventry. In 1995 when I heard that it had all been torn down and replaced with a modern industrial park, a Blockbuster, a McDonald's and a Sainsbury's Superstore (like Costco), I suggested that a monument be erected to mark the spot where our toys were "born". The Brits liked my idea and in April 2000, I was present at the unveiling of the monument. See attachment.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

Attachments

• 281778-MonumentDAE2000.jpg
    281778-MonumentDAE2000.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 107

swift6

Yoda
Another Plant that produced many of the 'home market Triumphs was in Speke (near Liverpool I believe). This was the same plant that built the first TR7's that had such horrible build quality. An interesting thought about that is that the TR7 was the only car produced at Speke that seemed to have any real quality issues. Giving credence to the idea that much of the poor build quality was on purpose, possibly union sabotage having to do with the labor issues at the plant. TR7/8 production was moved to Canley (Coventry) and then onto Sullihull (a Rover plant not too far from Coventry). But I think most of the TR production was done at the Canley plant and still considered in Coventry.

Coventry, BTW was home to more than 100 automobile manufacturers throughout the years. In the British Auto Transport Museum in Coventry they have a list and corresponding time-line of the manufacturers though the years.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Don, did they provide any oil stains under that monument? Seems like it would be fitting to have at least a few.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Paul, I was there in February of 2004 and there were no oil stains as of that date :smile:
Graham Robson was kind enough to give us a tour of the area and pointed out where various structures once were. It was part of a "gearhead" tour a few of the members of the Triumph Register of Southern California did. We also visited the British Motor Heritage Trust, the Jaguar Factory at Browns Lane, The Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust, the Morgan Factory, the Triumph Sports Sx Club, the Stoneleigh Show and Spares Day, the Coventry Transport Museum and a few pubs!
Bob

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bob, I'm hoping to travel to England and Ireland for my 20th anniversary in two years. My wife is 100% Irish all the way back and I'd love to see the country her family(s) came from. She's been to Ireland several times, but would like to go to England as well, so Coventry will probably be on our agenda.

I'll check for stains when I go.

G

[ QUOTE ]
the Morgan Factory,

[/ QUOTE ]

Met a guy at a car show with a new Morgan that he went to England to special order. They gave him the royal treatment, totally building it to his taste. Even supplied him with a leather-bound photo book that showed the whole birth of his own personal car.

He paid dearly for it.

He also paid dearly for his trophy wife. Wuff.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Paul - Check in on the site for the TR Register. They are really nice folks and in July, they hold the TR International Weekend at the Malvern Fairgrounds where they get 1200 TRs attending. I was at the International in 1991, in 1992 and again in 1998 when I also visited 16 local group monthly meetings - just to meet them and for the beer. Malvern is also where you can spend a day browsing around the Morgan factory. They are very nice folks too.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/

Don Elliott

Don Elliott

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Don,
A great idea and a beautiful monument. Who did the design?
So sad the way the Brit auto industry has faired. My love of cars started with my really rat 59 AH 3000 but the 56 TR3 fits to a 't'.
Met a gent from Malvern yesterday in Wickenburg (he is doing the dude ranch thing) and he mentioned the TR/Mog get together as he looked my 3 over. He said it was a great event, actually he said it was a 'brilliant' event.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The Triumph Monument was designed by the then leader of the local Coventry Group of the TR Register named Dave Lewis (Concours winning TR6) and the design was assisted by Barry Budden, the man who built it. Dave worked at S-T as did the other chap before it all closed.

https://home.freeuk.net/dave-lewis/page7.html
https://www.pistonheads.com/members/showCar.asp?carId=32088

This other chap started a very prosperous sheetmetal shop in Coventry after S-T closed and did the construction of the monument. It is made entirely out of stainless steel for low maintenance and to minimise vandalism. It is a hollow welded structure and has a secret entry port in the rear. The dull surfaces were bead blasted and the shiny surfaces were polished. It faces both directions along the north side of Herald Avenue so that people driving by can't miss it. It is not too far from the huge modernistic sculpture entitled Gloria which stands about 15 feet high in a nice rather small grassy round-about.

In the center between the angled parts you can see the plaques of the clubs which helped in the financial support for its construction. For example, the VTR group from Minnesota sent $1000.00 from their members.

I edited and sold a video about this and other things entitled "Triumphs in 1999" and sent the revenues to help with the construction costs. Payments for the lot where it stands (like municipal taxes etc.) still have to be paid annually by the TR Register.

You can read more on the TR Register site. You have to scroll right to the bottom.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/news_diary.htm

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry, all this UK talk makes me want to butt in. The monument is on my must see list. I've been to British Motor Heritage Trust already, Triumphs are there though not fully represented. I was disappointed in that the only thing in their gift shop was the CD repair manuals - no other literature or other goodies. Looks also like the 'Triumph World' magazine is at least temporarily off the shelves. Very sad.

I am now, though, a new member of the TR register, and hope to attend their big annual event. Stoneleigh parts swap is in February, that's also a road trip in the making..

Randy
missing my TRs

swift6

Yoda
The BMIHT collection at Gaydon cannot fully show the entirety of its collection. Which is a perfect reason to keep going back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When I was last there, quite a few Triumphs were on the floor.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Matt
Leyland Australia (BMC) assembled Triumphs for the local market. I have a TR6 assebled my them in 1974.
Regards
Craig

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks to all for the travel tips. I've printed them and will keep for future reference, providing I don't lose them, of course.