• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil cooler adaptor plate problem

peteatgr

I've been trying to get my Moss 13 row oil cooler installation completed. The cooler radiator is installed fine and the hoses are run, but I'm having no luck in getting the adaptor plate to fit between the oil routing pieces from the engine block to the filter bowl. When I face the hose connections forward the hoses don't have enough room before impacting the distributor. If I face the hose connections to the rear, the hoses don't reach with out kinking (and I think in this mounting direction the oil will run first to the cooler and the cooler people say it should first go to the filter). Has anyone used the adaptor plate supplied by Moss to integrate an oil cooler? If so how did it mount up and not have the hoses conflict with the distributor body? Maybe I got the wrong adaptor plate with my cooler. The Moss folks didn't really have an answer.

Country flag
I just started to revamp my oil cooler installation this week, I'll have to get the pictures off the camera and onto the web, but I didn't use the Moss stuff (I made my own).

Tomorrow (Friday) I hope to get all the hoses run, so you should be able to see what I've got in another day or so.

Country flag
I don't understand why the pictures didn't turn out except as links; trying again...

IMG_6497.sized.jpg

IMG_6504.sized.jpg

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice work, as usual, Randy.

Very patient with the file, that one.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Peteatgr
I bought my sandwich plate from Smitty. Don’t know if anyone sells them now. His could swivel 360 degrees, then you just tightened the filter adaptor to hold it in place.

Maybe what you need are angled hose ends. Here is a photo of my oil cooler. One hose has a 90° end to keep the hose below the radiator. The other hose has a 45. A local speed shop should have what you need, otherwise online at https://russellperformance.com/new/ or maybe https://www.bakerprecision.com/ to name a few.
280868-oilcooler.jpg

OP
P

peteatgr

Thank you Randy and Greg. While Randy's beautifully manufactured component is probably the most perfect solution, I can easily say that I'll probably not be doing that kind of quality milling. I think my first try is some angled hose fittings as per Greg to see if I can make the hoses miss the side of my distributor without having to change anything major.

Probably the most important point for others interested in oil cooling is that the Moss kit is not a perfect fit as it arrives in the box. I think my car is fully original and I don't see any way to make the adaptor plate work without confilct with the distributor as it is configured. Might be me or might be my car - don't know.

Greg, I don't know who Smitty is to whom you refer. Can pivoting adaptor plates still be obtained through this source?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi peteatgr,
Smitty is the man behind the Toyota 5 speed conversion for our Healeys. He recently retired and sold his business. I don’t know if the new guy (who bought the business) is selling the oil cooler adaptors or not. Actually, I don’t even know who the new guy is or if he has a web address.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Current Distributor of the "Smitty Five Speed Conversion": Healey 5 Speed Located in ; Harrisburg, N.C. Phone #: 704-455-2585 - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif-Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
randy, nice! ah my kingdom for a milling machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

----------You'd be too old to learn to use it!!-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
randy, nice! ah my kingdom for a milling machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I told my wife that I wanted a milling machine and a lathe when I grow up; she's still waiting for me to uphold my end of the bargain... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I told my wife that I wanted a milling machine and a lathe when I grow up; she's still waiting for me to uphold my end of the bargain...

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy--

Tell your wife that anyone can act his age. It's much more difficult to remain childlike-something that I always try to do, though some say I am simply childish.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I told my wife that I wanted a milling machine and a lathe when I grow up; she's still waiting for me to uphold my end of the bargain... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like some of those other dead beat husbands I be reading about in the papers.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

keoke, im allready too old! and those things can be dangerous least when i now count my fingers they still add up to 12. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Country flag
Here's a few more pictures from yesterday. I thought I'd have it all finished by now (famous last words, I know) but the plan was to reuse the -10 adapters that were already on the remote filter housing; turns out they were -8! If I order the -10s early enough Monday, they'll be in my hand Tuesday (unless I get lucky and find some in town today).

IMG_6507.sized.jpg

IMG_6519.sized.jpg

IMG_6515.sized.jpg

IMG_6516.sized.jpg

This is the Rube Goldberg adapter that I wanted to be rid of:

IMG_6523.sized.jpg