• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 78 MGB Turn Signal

Midgey

My blinker is on the blink - intermittent depending on ambient temperature I think. I see in the catalog that I can buy a new flasher unit pretty cheap. But I hav no idea where that unit is located, and whether it is difficult to change out. Any input would be appreciated.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Look for it under the right-side dashboard, near the wiper motor. That's where it's hidden on most earlier cars, anyway.

You should be able to remove it and carry it to about any parts house. The counter monkey should be able to match it up with a suitable replacement. Instant gratification!

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I found the flasher on mine behind the radio area. Either way, flashers that will work are pretty common and inexpensive.

It sounds like you might ought to check your lighting circuit ground points. Bad grounds can also cause intermittant problems like the one you're having.

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On a '78 you'll find two flashers in the area beneath the glove box. One for your turn signals, the other for your hazard flashers.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
yar! Like Joe says, there's two flasher units on a RB B. The one behind the radio console is for the hazard lights, and the one tucked up behind the glove box is for the turn signals. However, the way they're wired, I believe if the hazard flasher goes on the blink, so does the turn signal flasher.

Anyways, my turn signal flash went flaky on me last year (or was it the year before? hmmmm...). The flash rate varied a LOT depending on the tempurature; cold days I was lucky to have it do more than light up, on hot days it was like a chihuahua on speed. I replaced the flasher unit with one from the local parts store. One of those 2 spade units is all you need. My turn signal flash rate has been rock stable ever since. As an added benefit, the flasher 'tick' is much more audible now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

danmas

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
However, the way they're wired, I believe if the hazard flasher goes on the blink, so does the turn signal flasher.

I replaced the flasher unit with one from the local parts store.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) You are almost correct. See https://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,465525 for more details on this. (for some reason, the comma in this URL cuts off the last part of the link, so you'll have to cut and paste it into your browser to make it work). The hazard flasher failing won't stop the turn signals from working, but a failure of the hazard switch might.

b) This will work, but you need to be aware that these are not turn signal flashers, but hazard flashers. They'll work, but you won't get a warning if one of the turn signal bulbs is out. With the OEM turn signal flasher, if one bulb is out (or the wiring/grond connection is bad), the flash rate slowed to a crawl or stopped altogether to let you know about it. These flashers will continue to flash at the same rate even with one bulb out, so you will have to get into the habit of checking your turn signal bulbs occasionally.

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
One flasher has nothing to do with the other. One common problem is dirty contacts in the hazard switch.
Look at the wiring diagram for your car and clean all the connections in the circuit. Use dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion. Wiring diagrams are available at https://www.advanceautowire.com click on stock schematics. You can easily make an enlarged copy of the wiring diagram by enlarging the drawing on your computer screen and checking the "current view" in the print diaglog box. Don't forget to check the page orientation, I prefer landscape when printing sections of the wiring diagram.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ah... sorry if I mis-informed. It's the hazard switch that has the potential to fubar the turn signals. Thanks for putting me correct guys!

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
yes, as the diagrams show, the hazard switch, when off, completes the circuit for the directionals.

so when the hazards are on, the directional swich is ignored.

A bad Hazard switch can mess with your directionals, but not with the flahser unit.

Sounds like the solution is to replace the directional flasher unit, which you should find behind the glove box.

Rob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, that certainly went full-circle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

...May we now skew this thread to something completely different? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
Since we don't know exactly what is wrong with the turn signals, it is hard to pin point exact point of failure. "My blinker is on the blink - intermittent depending on ambient temperature I think" is a little vague. What is the problem? Are the turn signals getting power and not flashing?

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I have a multimeter and an extra flasher from Moss. Too bad you're in New Mexico.

OP
M

Midgey

Fantastic input from everybody. Thanks a bunch to each of you for the wealth of info.

Midgey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Well, that certainly went full-circle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

...May we now skew this thread to something completely different? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. Got any silly putty? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does a 74 B have two flashers as well, and would they be found in the same places as on a 78?

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Most likely.... My '73 has them in the same place (behind the radio, and behind the glove box). My DPO had disconnected them, but they were there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Seems to be consistent.

R.