• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking to buy my 1st B--how does this one look?

tateboys

New gal on the block--anyone wanna share their thoughts on this 1968 B for sale? Photos show rust areas, and I can forward the owner's detail of the car (too long for here). I know I need to go see it, just wondering if it's worth the drive. He's asking $7k. Thanks!

https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mstpe/albu...%3furlhint=actn,del%253as,1%253af,0
1968 MGB for sale

D

Deleted member 3577

Sure its too long.....

I'd kinda like to read between the lines of the entire description.
(Word for word....Handwriting, punctuation, choice of paper ect.)

WTH.....Give us all the info.
(You came to the right place for finding advice)

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Re: Looking to buy my 1st B--how does this one loo

Ok--here's the full listing:

1968 MG CONVERTIBLE VEHICLE DESCRIPTION - $7,000 obo
This is a beautiful 1968 MG MGB convertible with many excellent features. At the top of the list are the unbelievably shiny chrome bumpers and accessories. This convertible is a primrose yellow with an immaculate interior. The interior has been completely restored with new black carpet and black vinyl seats with white piping. The exterior is in great condition all around. It’s a sharp looking car, very clean and well kept. This rare sports car also handles remarkably well due to new suspension and the sport rims and tires. It’s very sure-footed on the road, cornering easily and smoothly.

Some of the features:
- 44,000 miles on odometer
- Four speed with electric overdrive
- Completely rebuilt engine (2001), new fuel pump
- Beautiful rare chrome bumpers and appointments
- New top with zip-out window in back
- Tonneau cover in excellent shape
- Oversized (15 in) aftermarket alloy knockoff sport wheels
- Original wire wheels ( all five thrown in FREE)
- Tires are in wonderful condition with very little wear (80%)
- Very little rust on car body

I've driven it on occasion for 2 years, with no engine servicing, other than keeping it very clean, and oil changes. The 74.5 and newer Bs were rubber bumper and are worth much less than older chrome bumper Bs. I've included an engine compartment photo.

The only thing this car might need is attention to a few rust spots on the lower door/quarter panels and front hood lip. This Roadster is in great condition otherwise. It won #5 in the chrome bumper MGB category at this year's New Orleans British Car Meet!

The key to having a a good running LBC (Little British Car) is they've got to be driven, which is a true pleasure.

Steve_S

Yoda

It doesn't look too bad, but there is undoubtedly more rust lurking beneath the paint. You can see it not only in the doglegs but on the hood, which suggests a cheap paint job to me. You may be in for a complete paint job and rust repair on this one. IF that's the case, the price may be a bit high. If it's more solid than I'm thinking, and everything works as it should, then the price is about right.

My 2.34 cents USD.

EDIT: Now that you posted the description, I would pay $5K for such a car IF everything he says is accurate. But I'd still be concerned about rust and would want restoration photos to see what was done before painting. The rust in the dogleg is not unusual, I've had it many times on my '65 B. But if it moves to the sills then the car isn't worth it's weight in pennies.

I like how they call it rare. 500,000+ (including GT's and RB cars) made over 18 years is hardly what I'd call rare, but they are fun.

G

Kandace,
Coming from a Triumph owner (what am I doing over here today?), that thing is a rustbucket! If you can see the rust coming through the panels like that, run, don't walk, away. There are plenty of rust-free examples of MGs out there. Unless you are an adroit body-woman (sheet metal repairs, that is), you don't need to buy something that will destroy your budget. I found a nice MGB (albeit a rubber bumper model) down here in south Louisiana recently that they wanted to sell and it was rust-free. Keep looking.
Mechanical repairs are cheap in comparison to body repairs.

Bill

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker

The rear doglegs look really bad, which guarantees the inner sills are shot underneath (an MGB rusts from the inside out). This is not surface rust, this is structural to repair. It may have "very little rust on the body", but is has *lots of rust inside the body*.

Run don't walk away from this car and seller. Seriously.
This is a $3500 car at best.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Yeah, I incline toward your rationale, Scott. I know what can lurk behind those doglegs. If it was a SC car all its life it *may* not be that bad, though it'd take a real inspection to be sure. I'd also ignore the verbage and hype in the ad (or diminish the price by 33% on account of it!). They nearly ALL have some rust issues by now... just some more than others. Particularly "up there" where you are: I lost several MG's to PA road salt. And an assortment of "other" cars too.

And by-the-by: Didn't the hoods remain aluminum until beyond '69~'70? For the life of me I can't remember now...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Best "inspection tool" for the doglegs would be a nice big SLAG HAMMER!

"If'n I hit good steel before it goes in past two inches on both sides I'll give ya $4.5K." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Ok guys, I've put my running shoes on. Thanks for the insight (and for saving me a trip to Louisiana!) I'll keep looking. One thing--I guess it's 'cause I'm a girl, but didn't realize paint/rust repairs were more expensive than mechanical ones. Ye have taught me well today, boys!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

I agree with Stew. Throw $2000 in cold hard cash on the hood. If he smiles your in the drivers seat. It may not be worht the trip to La. though. Keep us posted.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Looks good on the outside for sure. About 3K or so in body work would do the job just from seeing the pics.

R6MGS

Yoda

Ahh...You guys are all spoiled, you all need to come for a visit to Ontario if you wanna see rusty sills.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

It is not so much the rusty sills it is the price with the rusty sills compaired to everything else on the car. Makes you wonder what's hideing under all that nice stuff.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker

[ QUOTE ]
One thing--I guess it's 'cause I'm a girl, but didn't realize paint/rust repairs were more expensive than mechanical ones. Ye have taught me well today, boys!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got nothing to do with you being a member of the fairer sex, lots of us make that assumption /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

OP
tateboys

tateboys

I'd like to come to Canada and take that pretty blue one in the picture home!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

"Rust Abatement" is an exercise (if done correctly) which will see the car disassembled to its very soul and built back up to better-than new when finished. A task more suited to dedicated, sincere owners than the commercial shops (generally). The amount of effort and money to do it properly will far outstrip the commercial value of the car when completed. It's a "Labour of Love" in most instances.

But there MAY come a time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: I can't believe ~I~ posted that!!
Something's radically wrong with this picture. OBVIOUSLY I need MORE BEER!

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh...You guys are all spoiled, you all need to come for a visit to Ontario if you wanna see rusty sills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at my house though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

But you've exposed your B's soul already!!!