• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Will 14 gauge suffice?

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
will 14 gauge work for the electrical wires coming out of the ignition on a bugeye? Of course, they will be going to the battery, ignition, starter and acc hookup.

Thanks.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Darn if I really know but I tend to be a fan of 12 guage mostly.

importcars

base the wire size off of fuse size.
16guage 8-10amp
14guage 15amp
12guage 20amp
10guage 30amp
8guage 45-50amp

of course battery cables should be at least 4guage.

hope that helps ya.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Of course, keep in mind (as always) that the fuse ratings on our LBCs are Lucas rated fuses, so you may need to adjust the above numbers for our cars.

importcars

whats a lucas number?

a lucas fuse allow more amperage thru than rated for??

thos numbers i threw out are your average generally accepted values. you can always run a thicker wire than nessary and be extra safe..

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Adam,
Lucas wiring, fuses, switches, batteries, alternators, distributors and just about anything that Lucas makes that has a current that runs through it, defies all known laws of physics.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Look here for a good explanation:

https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=29

This threw me when I first got a LBC. The British rated fuses look like modern barrel fuses, but are rated very differently. In short, the British fuse is rated by the current that was guaranteed to make them blow instantly while the modern standard rates fuses by the current that they will carry forever.

importcars

but, really you should replace all the fuses with new anyways, wouldnt you think

but i am starting to learn that lucus is ludacris!

has anyone put a painless wiring harness in a mg successfully?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You can still get British rated fuses from the various parts houses. They work just fine for the loads in the car.

I put in a new harness from British Wiring when I bought my Sprite last spring. Modern wires with a cloth loom. Looks like original, but nicely upgraded underneath. Included all the proper connectors and such, went in very easily (of course the Bugeye harness is very simple).

I think that Lucas stuff gets a bad rap most of the time. With good clean connections and grounds, the stock harness and bits seem to work just fine. Now, if you're going to put in stereo and other mods, I could see switching to something else, but in my Bugeye at least, I've got lights, gauges, wipers, and ignition. That's it, so the electrical isn't doing too much.

importcars

[ QUOTE ]
In short, the British fuse is rated by the current that was guaranteed to make them blow instantly while the modern standard rates fuses by the current that they will carry forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

with the above being true, that would mean that you can run smaller wiring than i originally stated.

the wiring size i listed was for sustined amperage. if the birtish have fuses that blow when they see 15amp then the sustined amprage will b less than 15 so you could 'probably' run 16ga safely.... but i would still run the common sizes and know that i am 100% safe.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'd tend to side with you on the wire sizing. Running wires based on that list, but using the British rating, would seem to be a safe bet if you were rolling your own harness. Don't want to let any of the smoke out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

importcars

that magic smoke.... man you let that out and i tell you what.

inventing perpetual motion would be great, but inventing a way to put magic smoke back into motors, wires, electronics, and all things electrical.... now that would be useful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif haha

i have had my share of smoke shows, as i am sure you have... it doesnt take long to want to protect from that.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've lost my link to the Lucas Smoke Recharge device.

RATS!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I won't even mention the smoke and wiring issues I had with the FJ40 Land Cruiser I had 10 years ago. I'm embarrassed to even think about what I did. Learned my lesson, though, and this time around I'm doing it the correct way.