• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaking fuel pump

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Was a bit warmer today, so I thought I'd take the Bugeye out for a little spin. Unpacked the garage (pull out bike, Midget, snowblower) and rolled out the Tunebug. Took a little while to get started since it's been sitting for a while. Backed it down the driveway, and saw a puddle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Puddle was gas. Fuel pump was leaking heavily. Never done that before, didn't notice it doing it at least. Not sure the cause, but I guess I'll have to pull the pump (mechanical) and have a looksie. Any ideas?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yep, prob ruptured the gasket, take it apart carefully but check the input and output first but then you said it was the pump so I suspose you have checked rubber hoses already.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It was leaking right at the pump (far as I could tell) and only hard lines going into the pump. Hard to see, but it did look like it was leaking at the gasket that separates the top and bottom half.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HoHo, good guess Jack. Easy fix, go for it. ACE even has gasket material and you have a pattern, good evening job in front of the TV with wifes cutting board and a very sharp exacto knife.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll have to try that. Moss wants $123 for a rebuild kit for the pump. Geesh.

I'll try a new gasket first. Won't use the cutting board, though. I'm the cook in my family, so I'd never allow myself to do such a thing!

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hmmm..don't remember a gasket there...prolly wrong tho..been along time. Thought it was the diaphram...But been using a SU electric since 73 so its hazy.....lol

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Diaphram inside, gasket between the two halves of the pump. Also in side a couple of one way valves.

Oh yea, new gasket material is clean and so is knife, good job for one of those plastic cutting boards.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack, I'm almost certain that the diaphragm acts as the gasket between the two halves of the pump. I'll have to check my stash this weekend.
Jeff

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack, take a look at this attachment. I apologize for the quality. The only gasket is the one under the dome. #4 on the illustration. Between the pump halves is the diaphragm.
Jeff

Attachments

• 273711-FPScan.jpg
    273711-FPScan.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 74

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Try this.
273727-Section-D.JPG

Attachments

• 273727-Section-D.JPG
    273727-Section-D.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 52

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Woops, think you are correct it was the top gasket I was thinking of, sigh. oh well disasemble and clean and reinstall with all tight, just might do the trick.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the pics. Haven't even checked my assorted manuals yet. Tomorrow's job. I'll at least pull it apart and see if I can figure out what is going on.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And don't ask why the rebuild kits are so expensive, tis a wonder. I have a price list where I bought one in 1963 for 8 dollars. Sigh.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Thanks, Chris. Mine was the same picture, but scanned in from an original book. And I'm a putz when it comes to getting used to the scanner and new computer. That was actually my first attempt at using the scanner.
Jeff

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, I got motivated and pulled the pump and got it disassembled. Here's what I found:

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

pump3.jpg

Huge amount of sediment in the top. Diaphragm looks intact. I think this may be a replacement pump, since it says "Made in Canada" on the outside. Generally looks like the picture Chris posted, but it's missing washers #15 and #16, and more importantly, parts #11 and #12. There is no retaining plate or screw so you can remove the inlet/outlet valves. They look pressed in? Can't really tell (3rd picture). I'm thinking it may have gotten clogged up, and the pressure was forcing fuel out the diaphragm. All the rubber bits inside seem to be okay.

If this is a replacement pump, should I try and source an original one to rebuild?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, if it works after you reassemble it, I wouldn't worry about it. Finding an original worth rebuilding may be a problem. I don't know about the quality of the current crop of aftermarket pumps, but my guess would be that they aren't all that great. But, they <u>are</u> cheaper than a rebuild kit!
If you want, I'll see what I have lying around.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The orginal pumps have an external lever to work it manualy.

There are also some other bits as you noted, clean all well and reinstall, meanwhile decide whather you want to as you said source an orginal and rebuild it or go for another bastard which is fine or replace with an elec one.

Surely was a bunch of junk in there.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you have a chance, Jeff, take a look and see if you've got one. I'm planning on reusing the pump when I get the 1275 built, as it has the blanking plate for a mechanical pump. No rush, but I would be interested in a good rebuildable original if one was to be had.

I should be able to get this one cleaned and reinstalled tomorrow after work. Well let ya'll know how it goes. I'm also now considering going through the entire fuel system and giving it a good cleaning. I'll at least do this before I put the 1275 in.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would clean it up, put back on and use it. Save up pennies for electric one for the 1275..IMHO