• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bugeye in a field

Country flag
Hi, everybody - This is my first post to this forum, I've been over on the Healey forum for awhile, because I've also got a 100-6. Here's my question, I've got a bugeye that's been sitting in a field unprotected for about four years. Aside from the obvious, such as interior, what should I be looking for in deciding if it is restoreable for a cost equal to or around equal to the cost of just buying another one that is on the road. My preference would be to bring this one back, but my wallet might not agree. This might seem like a simple question, but after just spending six years restoring the 100-6, I'm pretty aware of how many surprises there can be. I know there are no absolutes, I'm just looking for hints of things that I might not think about until I've already got the project started. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Also, Hello to everybody on this forum, I've got a feeling that I'll slowly be becoming a regular over here.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Same as a big Healey. How much rust is there and where?

Take lots of pics. Floor boards, A posts, B posts, etc.

Country flag
But, you will be dealing with a unibody and no aluminum panels. And... You can find many usable parts form later sprites and midgets.

It is almost always cheaper to buy one already in a restored state, but there is no fun in that. And... if you are like many car buffs, you would end u redoing much of it anyway.

Morris

Yoda
I'll back Trevor up by saying it is extremely rare that you can restore a car for less than buying an already restored one.

But if you ever wanted a great do it yourself restoration project, a Spridget is the way to go. If you do everything yourself (save machine work) the rewards will far out weigh the expense IMHO. And the Spridget small size, light weight and simplicity make it an ideal car for a hobbyist restorer.

Also, IMHO, if you are going to pay someone else to do the work, don't bother. You will end up with a $25,000 Bugeye and your mechanic will end up with a nice new bass boat.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Rust is the biggie here. If the bonnet and rear are decent, it's probably a worthwhile project. All the bits are available (well, mostly) as are entire new shells. If you've already restored a car, then you understand the financial realities. Bringing another one back on the road is a noble pursuit.

Of course, I bought one that already drove, but I'm a wimp that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is the place to get answers to your specific questions concerning your restoration. We will always assist in every way possible. Many here have done this before and can give honest, accurate advise.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I am restoring a very early 58. I will have $4000 into it when it's all finished. I don't think I could by one perfect condition for 4k.
But I will do EVERYTHING myself except the media blasting and tire mounting. And Everything is new. Entire brake system, rebuilt engine, good tranny, all new suspension and interior.
there again, I will make the panels and cover them myself with local bought stuff, I do NOT do a mo$$ restoration.
I did a Healey 3000 from rusted out frame to car show award winner for about 9 thousand and that included the price of the rusted out car.
I hear people spnding 30k on a Healey. Sure if you are a check book restorer. I also heard of a 27k Midget restoration from a shop. Now what's a nice Midget worth? 6k?
$7500 at best?

My .02

Country flag
WHAT!!! Frank pays to have those little bitty spridget tires mounted!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Randy_Gay

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm restoring a longbridge built healey and also have a driver bugeye. they are different animals. Unless it's really rusty it's no big deal to work on, especially if you're not looking for a concourse redo. These cars are a blast to drive - more fun than their big brothers. And except for a few parts (like the master cylinder) they are relatively cheap to work on.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
OK, so here's what I'm going to do. First, get it out of the field, and look it over. The 948 was removed from it about 10 years ago, and has been stored inside ever since, so it could be a lot worse. The bonnet and rear are still in reasonably good shape, what it is really going to come down to is the floor boards (no big deal) and posts (bigger deal), and what else we find when we get her up off the ground. I'll let everyone know when we get underway, which probably won't be until the spring, I still have to finish up the 100-6. (Interior and new windscreen). Thanks to everybody for the advice. After the big Healey, how much worse could it be? The 100-6 spent 2 years in the same field! So long for now

startech47

Jedi Knight
Why don't you raise it up on blocks and grease the underside of the car to exclude Oxygen and prevent further degradation until you are ready to restore the car?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
For goodness sake pick it up now.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm with Jack on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
You say early, how early. The big break is at about 5600, the studded top rail on the windsheild. Anyway, take the first step and at the least put the car on blocks. Maybe get gauges and anything else affected by weather. Catch a sunny day and go start your bonding with the bugeye

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Sorry, I mispoke. We can't start working on it until the spring, but we're pulling her out of the field within the next two weeks, and bringing her home for the winter. My biggest problem at the moment is just doing that, and leaving her on the blocks. One thing leads to another, and if I'm not careful time and money that's earmarked for finishing the 100-6 will creep over into "little things" for the bug. Sorry I left you all with the wrong impression. Jack, where's Niceville, Florida?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Niceville is half way between Panama City and P'Cola, Destin really.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks, we're going to be near Tampa in January, I was wondering how far that was from Miss Agatha. I looked at your pictures on your web site, and it gave me a little more encourgement to go ahead and tackle the bugeye.

G

hehee... How "near" Tampa? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
The Villages