• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heater Mount

10musketeer

Jedi Trainee
I have a '71 Midget with the separate blower and core and I have the core mounted already, but need to know how the blower mounts. I have a feeling the p.o. put some of the items where they aren't supposed to go. Anyone have a picture or a suggestion?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Getting ahold of Moss' or Vickie Brit catalogs would help. They've exploded view illustrations which can be as good as a workshop manual for figuring out how the parts relate to one-another. Most of their illustrations appear to have come from factory parts books.

And they'll send 'em to ya fer FREE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
10musketeer

10musketeer

Jedi Trainee
Well, that's kind of what got me wondering in the first place. After looking at the Moss and VB catalog for reference, I can't seem to see how the blower bolts to the car. I'm thinking the p.o. at some point may have moved the fuse box and some of the wiring when removing the smog cannister. Does it bolt directly to the engine bay, or is there some sort of attachment that may have been removed?

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
John, I think the fusebox is to be against the firewall. The heater mount is two bolts midway between the fusebox and the coil.
I don't have a car w/a seperate blower/heater so I trying that from memory. Best I can do after a few last night.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm confused, when you say blower and core, you're talking heater right? (as opposed to supercharger) I presume the core (rad core) and the blower (fan and fan motor) go together in the black heater housing which in turn screws on top of the slot in front of the battery tray. The side of the housing with the "curve" points to the drivers side. The hole for the air intake points to the front of the car. Is this what you are after?

I can send pics if you like as mine is currently dismantled. good luck

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Or I could actually look at the catalogue before I open my mouth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif Post '75 they changed the boxes. That being said, the "box" (the part the core goes in) mounts over the hole in front of the battery box (I can't imagine they would have changed that) The hole is the ductwork to the car and there should be sheet metal screw holes to mount to. The air intake opening on the box should point to the passenger side. Once this is in place, you should be able to line up the blower bracket (I'm looking at pg 77 of the new Moss catalogue - the bracket itself is not listed but surrounded by parts # 32, 33,34,35 in the diagram) you should be able to line up the bracket on the fender. The fuse box on mine mounts on the firewall on the passenger side to the left (I think) of the hood hinge. I hope this helps

OP
10musketeer

10musketeer

Jedi Trainee
Ahh! So it looks like my car has the fuse box and a few other things put in the place where the blower should go. Now that you say the bracket is not listed, this makes more sense. Guess I'll need to find a bracket or come up with something in it's place.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I have a combination heater/blower smiths box and hose if you want it, 6 screws and it sits right there.
Does a 71 have the demister hole?

OP
10musketeer

10musketeer

Jedi Trainee
That sounds really enticing. I do have the demister hole and a working heater would allow me to drive it this winter (we hit 28 last night and looking for 19 tonight). How much would you want before parting with it?